Who Should Get Hepatitis Vaccinations? continued...
People at risk for hepatitis B include:
- Anyone traveling to or working in areas where hepatitis B is more widespread.
- Health care workers and other people whose job exposes them to human blood
- People with HIV infection, end-stage kidney disease, or chronic liver disease
- People who live with someone with hepatitis B
- People who inject street drugs
- Sexually active people who have had more than one partner
- Anyone who has had an STD
- Men who have sex with men
- Sex partners of people with hepatitis B
Poland also recommends that the parents and siblings of children adopted from a country where hepatitis A and/or hepatitis B are prevalent also receive these hepatitis vaccinations.
Safety of Hepatitis Vaccines
Hepatitis vaccines have been given to millions of people all across the world without any evidence of serious side effects. "They're very safe, and they're extremely effective," says Poland.
If you are not sure whether you should have hepatitis vaccines, talk with your doctor about your specific concerns.