5-HTP (L-5-Hydroxytryptophan) Overview Information
Diosmin is a type of plant chemical found mainly in citrus fruits. People use diosmin to make medicine.
Diosmin is used for treating various disorders of blood vessels including hemorrhoids, varicose veins, poor circulation in the legs (venous stasis), and bleeding (hemorrhage) in the eye or gums. It is also used to treat swelling of the arms (lymphedema) following breastcancer surgery, and to protect against liver toxicity. It is often taken in combination with hesperidin, another plant chemical.
How does it work?
Diosmin might help treat hemorrhoids by reducing swelling (inflammation), and restoring normal vein function.
Possibly Effective for:
- Treating hemorrhoids and preventing recurrence, when used in combination with hesperidin.
- Treating leg ulcers caused by poor circulation, when used in combination with hesperidin.
Possibly Ineffective for:
- Varicose veins.
- Bleeding (hemorrhage) in the eye.
- Bleeding gums.
- Preventing damage to the liver.
- Other conditions.
5-HTP (L-5-Hydroxytryptophan) Side Effects & Safety
Diosmin is safe for most people when used short-term for up to three months. It can cause some side effects such as stomach and abdominal pain, diarrhea, and headache.
Do not take diosmin for more than three months without medical supervision.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of diosmin during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
5-HTP (L-5-Hydroxytryptophan) Dosing
Diosmin is often taken in combination with hesperidin.
The following doses have been studied in scientific research:
- For the treatment of internal hemorrhoids: 1350 mg of diosmin plus 150 mg of hesperidin twice daily for 4 days followed by 900 mg of diosmin and 100 mg of hesperidin twice daily for 3 days. Some researchers also try 600 mg of diosmin three times daily for 4 days, followed by 300 mg twice daily for 10 days, in combination with 11 grams of psyllium daily. However, this lower diosmin dose does not seem to be as effective.
- For prevention of relapse internal hemorrhoids: 450 mg of diosmin plus 50 mg of hesperidin twice daily for 3 months of therapy.
- For the treatment of leg wounds due to bloodflow problems (venous stasis ulcers): the combination of 900 mg of diosmin and 100 mg of hesperidin daily has been used for up to 2 months.