CHANCA PIEDRA Overview Information
Chanca piedra is an herb. The whole plant is used to make medicine.
Chanca piedra is used for various disorders of the urinary tract including infections, pain and swelling (inflammation), kidney stones, and discharge from the urethra or vagina. It is also used for digestive tract disorders including gas, loss of appetite, stomachache, intestinal infections, constipation, and dysentery.
Some people use chanca piedra as a liver tonic and for liver problems including hepatitis B. Other uses include treating diabetes, gallstones, colic, flu, swine flu, yellowing of the skin (jaundice), abdominal tumors, pain around the rectum, fever, sexually transmitted diseases such as syphilis and gonorrhea, malaria, tumors, caterpillar stings, cough, fluid retention, itching, miscarriage, tremors, typhoid, anemia, asthma, bronchitis, thirst, tuberculosis, and dizziness.
How does it work?
It is thought that chanca piedra contains chemicals that might relieve spasms and fever, increase urine, and have activity against bacteria and viruses. It might also lower blood sugar.
Possibly Ineffective for:
- Hepatitis B infection.
Likely Ineffective for:
- Hepatitis B. Taking chanca piedra by mouth for 1-6 weeks does not improve hepatitis B symptoms, decrease the duration of acute hepatitis B, or decrease markers of hepatitis B present in the blood.
- Diabetes. Early research suggests that taking chanca piedra by mouth for 7 days does not lower blood sugar in people with type 2 diabetes.
- High blood pressure. Early research shows that taking chanca piedra by mouth for 10 days does not lower blood pressure in people with high blood pressure.
- Kidney stones. Early research shows that taking chanca piedra by mouth for 3 months does not decrease the size or number of kidney stones in people prone to kidney stones. However, other research suggests that taking a specific product of chanca piedra (Uriston) by mouth for at least 3 months after undergoing shock wave therapy to break apart kidney stones helps the body get rid of kidney stones if they are located lower in the urinary tract.
- Sore throat and swollen tonsils (tonsillopharyngitis). Early research suggests that taking a combination of chanca piedra and black seed by mouth for 7 days relieves pain in people with sore throat and swollen tonsils.
- Urinary tract infections and pain and swelling (inflammation).
- Increasing urine output.
- Intestinal gas.
- Increasing appetite.
- Use as a liver tonic and blood purifier.
- Intestinal infections.
- Yellowing of the skin (jaundice).
- Abdominal tumors.
- Caterpillar stings.
- Pain and swelling around the rectum.
- Infections of the vagina.
- Other conditions.
CHANCA PIEDRA Side Effects & Safety
Chanca piedra is POSSIBLY SAFE when taken by mouth for a short time period (up to 3 months).
It is not known if chanca piedra causes side effects.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Chanca piedra is POSSIBLY UNSAFE when taken by mouth by pregnant women or those trying to become pregnant. Chanca piedra in large amounts may block pregnancy, increase the risk of low birth weight, or increase the risk of birth defects.
There is not enough reliable information about the safety of taking chanca piedra if you are breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
Bleeding disorder: Chanca piedra might slow blood clotting. There is a concern that taking chanca piedra might cause bleeding in people with bleeding disorders.
Diabetes: Chanca piedra might affect blood sugar levels. Watch for signs of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) and monitor your blood sugar carefully if you have diabetes and use chanca piedra.
Surgery: Chanca piedra might lower blood sugar levels. There is some concern that it might interfere with blood sugar control during and after surgery. Chanca piedra might also slow blood clotting and increase the risk of bleeding. Stop using chanca piedra at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.
Moderate Interaction Be cautious with this combination
- Lithium interacts with CHANCA PIEDRA
Chanca piedra might have an effect like a water pill or "diuretic." Taking chanca piedra might decrease how well the body gets rid of lithium. This could increase how much lithium is in the body and result in serious side effects. Talk with your healthcare provider before using this product if you are taking lithium. Your lithium dose might need to be changed.
- Medications for diabetes (Antidiabetes drugs) interacts with CHANCA PIEDRA
Chanca piedra might decrease blood sugar. Diabetes medications are also used to lower blood sugar. Taking chanca piedra along with diabetes medications might cause your blood sugar to go too low. Monitor your blood sugar closely. The dose of your diabetes medication might need to be changed.
Some medications used for diabetes include glimepiride (Amaryl), glyburide (DiaBeta, Glynase PresTab, Micronase), insulin, pioglitazone (Actos), rosiglitazone (Avandia), chlorpropamide (Diabinese), glipizide (Glucotrol), tolbutamide (Orinase), and others.
CHANCA PIEDRA Dosing
The appropriate dose of chanca piedra depends on several factors such as the user's age, health, and several other conditions. At this time there is not enough scientific information to determine an appropriate range of doses for chanca piedra. Keep in mind that natural products are not always necessarily safe and dosages can be important. Be sure to follow relevant directions on product labels and consult your pharmacist or physician or other healthcare professional before using.