GERMANIUM Overview Information
Germanium is a chemical element. People use it as medicine.
Despite serious safety concerns, germanium is used for heart and blood vessel conditions, including high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and heart disease; for eye conditions, including glaucoma and cataracts; and for liver conditions, including hepatitis and cirrhosis.
Some people use germanium for osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis (RA), pain, weak bones (osteoporosis), low energy, and AIDS.
Other uses include heavy metal poisoning, including mercury and cadmium poisoning; depression; cancer; food allergies; and yeast and viral infections.
Germanium is also used for increasing circulation of blood to the brain, supporting the immune system, and as an antioxidant.
How does it work?
Germanium might act against inflammation. It might also have antioxidant properties and affect the immune system.
- Cancer. Researchers are interested in germanium as an alternative treatment for various kinds of cancer including breast cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, ovarian cancer, head and neck cancer, and lung cancer. One case report showed that after treatment with germanium, all symptoms of a particular type of lung cancer went away. But even if germanium is eventually shown to be effective for some treatments, it might just be too unsafe to use. Some of its side effects can be deadly.
- Osteoporosis (weak bones).
- Low energy.
- High blood pressure.
- High cholesterol.
- Heart disease.
- Liver problems.
- Food allergies.
- Yeast infections.
- Ongoing viral infections.
- Heavy metal poisoning.
- Increasing circulation of blood to the brain.
- Supporting the immune system.
- Use as an antioxidant.
- Other conditions.
GERMANIUM Side Effects & Safety
Germanium is UNSAFE. There have been more than 30 reports of kidney failure and death linked with use of germanium. It builds up in the body and can damage vital organs such as the kidneys. It can also cause anemia, muscle weakness, nerve problems, and other side effects.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Germanium is UNSAFE for anyone to use, including pregnant and breast-feeding women. More than 30 deaths have been linked to using germanium. Don’t use it.
Minor Interaction Be watchful with this combination
- Furosemide (Lasix) interacts with GERMANIUM
Some scientists think that germanium might decrease how well furosemide (Lasix) works. But there isn't enough information to know if this is a big concern.
The appropriate dose of germanium depends on several factors such as the user's age, health, and several other conditions. At this time there is not enough scientific information to determine an appropriate range of doses for germanium. Keep in mind that natural products are not always necessarily safe and dosages can be important. Be sure to follow relevant directions on product labels and consult your pharmacist or physician or other healthcare professional before using.