GABA (GABA (GAMMA-AMINOBUTYRIC ACID)) Overview Information
GABA is a chemical that is made in the brain.
GABA is taken by mouth for relieving anxiety, improving mood, reducing symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS), and treating attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). It is also used for promoting lean muscle growth, burning fat, stabilizing blood pressure, and relieving pain.
GABA is used under the tongue for increasing the sense of well-being, relieving injuries, improving exercise tolerance, decreasing body fat, and increasing lean body weight.
How does it work?
GABA works by blocking brain signals (neurotransmissions).
Possibly Effective for:
- High blood pressure. Some research shows that taking products containing GABA along with other ingredients can reduce blood pressure in people with high blood pressure.
- Motion sickness. Some research shows that taking GABA might slow the onset of motion sickness and reduce symptoms such as chills, cold sweats, and pale skin.
- Cerebral palsy. Early research shows that taking GABA might improve mental development, learning, vocabulary, and physical function in children with cerebral palsy.
- Long-term infection of the airways in the lung (bronchitis). Early research shows that taking GABA along with medications used for bronchitis increases the amount of time between symptom episodes.
- Cushing’s disease. Early research shows that GABA reduces the release of the hormone that causes Cushing’s disease.
- Seizures. Early research shows that taking GABA along with medication used for treating seizures reduces the frequency of seizures in some people, but does not benefit people who have seizures triggered by lights or other visual causes.
- Huntington’s disease. Early research shows that taking GABA alone or with other treatments does not improve movement in people with Huntington’s disease.
- Inflammation of the tissue around the brain and spine (Meningitis). Early research suggests that taking GABA reduces the development of symptoms after recovery and prevents the development of other serious conditions.
- Brain disorder caused by exposure to chemicals. Early research shows that taking GABA improves attention, memory, and emotional responses in children with a brain disorder caused by exposure to chemicals.
- Stress. Early research shows that taking GABA reduces stress, tension, anxiety, confusion, and depression in people under stress.
- Relieving anxiety.
- Improving mood.
- Relieving premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
- Treating attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- Promoting lean muscle growth.
- Burning fat.
- Stabilizing blood pressure.
- Relieving pain.
- Other conditions.
GABA (GABA (GAMMA-AMINOBUTYRIC ACID)) Side Effects & Safety
GABA is LIKELY SAFE when taken correctly by mouth for short periods of time, up to 12 weeks.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of GABA during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
GABA (GABA (GAMMA-AMINOBUTYRIC ACID)) Dosing
The appropriate dose of GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) depends on several factors such as the user’s age, health, and several other conditions. At this time there is not enough scientific information to determine an appropriate range of doses for GABA. Keep in mind that natural products are not always necessarily safe and dosages can be important. Be sure to follow relevant directions on product labels and consult your pharmacist or physician or other healthcare professional before using.