SANGRE DE GRADO Overview Information
Sangre de Grado is a tree that grows in the Amazon region of South America. The tree bark and sap are used to make medicine.
Sangre de Grado or SP-303, one of the chemicals it contains, is used for diarrhea associated with cholera, AIDS, traveling, or treatment with antibiotics. Sangre de Grado is also used for treating cancer, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), viral respiratory infections, fever, hemorrhage, bleeding gums, wounds, broken bones, vaginal infections, hemorrhoids, a skin condition called eczema, and insect bites and stings. Other uses include treating ulcers of the mouth, throat, stomach, or intestine; supporting the body's tissue repair mechanisms; and as a general tonic.
Some people apply Sangre de Grado or SP-303 directly to the skin for treating herpes simplex virus (types 1 and 2). Some women use it for flushing the vagina before childbirth.
How does it work?
Sangre de Grado appears to help diarrhea by slowing down the intestines. It might also prevent the movement of some viruses into cells.
Possibly Effective for:
- AIDS-related diarrhea. Taking a Sangre de Grado extract that contains the chemical SP-303 (SB-Normal Stool Formula, ShamanBotanicals.com) seems to reduce stool weight and frequency in people with AIDS-related diarrhea.
- Traveler's diarrhea. Taking a Sangre de Grado extract that contains the chemical SP-303 seems to be effective for treating symptoms of traveler's diarrhea.
- Treatment of herpes outbreaks (genital and anal) in people with AIDS. Applying a Sangre de Grado extract that contains the chemical SP-303 directly to the skin seems to be effective for treating some genital and anal herpes simplex outbreaks in people with AIDS.
- Insect bites and stings. Applying Sangre de Grado relieved the symptoms of insect bites (fire ants, wasps, bees) and plant reactions in a group of pest control workers. But there’s not enough evidence yet to determine whether Sangre de Grado can be considered effective for insect bites and stings.
- Treating allergic skin reactions.
- Cancer treatment.
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Lung infections.
- Mouth and throat ulcers.
- Stomach and intestinal ulcers.
- Bleeding gums.
- Bone fractures.
- A skin condition called eczema.
- Other conditions.
SANGRE DE GRADO Side Effects & Safety
Sangre de Grado appears to be safe for most people. When applied to the skin, Sangre de Grado can cause pain, burning, and scarring.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of Sangre de Grado during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
A type of blood cancer called leukemia: Sangre de Grado might make this condition worse. Avoid using Sangre de Grado if you have leukemia.
SANGRE DE GRADO Dosing
The following doses have been studied in scientific research:
- For treating AIDS-related diarrhea: a Sangre de Grado extract containing 500 mg of SP-303 (SB-Normal Stool Formula) every 6 hours.
- For treating traveler's diarrhea: a Sangre de Grado extract containing 125-500 mg SP-303 (SB-Normal Stool Formula) 4 times daily for 2 days.