User Reviews & Ratings - 5-HTP

Read user comments about the side effects, benefits, and effectiveness of 5-HTP.

«5-HTP Information

See products with 5-HTP

6/29/2014 11:45:25 AM

Reviewer: LALA5, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Consumer)

Comment:
I started taking 5-HTP to help lift my mood and maybe decrease my appetite. It did lift my mood and suppress my appetite but the side effects were not worth the benefits of taking it. 2 days after taking 1 pill per day in the morning I woke up and felt my face twitching. It was more than just twitching, I thought my face muscle was going to pop put of my skin. My face was twitching on the left sid ... Show Full Comment

6/26/2014 2:08:04 AM

Reviewer: seven, 45-54 Male on Treatment for 1 to 6 months (Consumer)

Comment:
The statement about there not being enough evidence concerning the tryptophan tablets being linked to the outbreak of eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome is false. A quick search shows that the CDC determined it was a contaminated batch from a specific factory. I take 5 HTP to help me sleep and it works very well.

4/19/2014 7:20:07 AM

Reviewer: Granny16, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 6 months to less than 1 year (Consumer)

Comment:
I started using this for weight loss and I did lose 40 lbs. by eliminating sugar and white flour products, but the best side effect of this supplement was that I could finally sleep at night. So now I take it for insomnia along with Melatonin and I feel great in the morning--no hangover like I had with other over the counter sleep aids.

3/26/2014 2:44:17 AM

Reviewer: bigbluehouse, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Consumer)

Comment:
I am still trying to work out if 5-HTP is for me I have been taking Thorne Research 100mg for about three weeks and was prescribed this by my doctor to help with sleep, I have been sleeping longer than before but still not soundly enough. Two great things are that it cuts cravings both for food and for alcohol which has been a bonus. I have been getting some joint pains and feeling tired during ... Show Full Comment

3/20/2014 9:24:12 AM

Reviewer: bree, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 6 months to less than 1 year (Caregiver)

Comment:
I have problems sleeping and the conclusion by my Dr. is my body does not make serotinin which produces the other products needed to sleep. It is helping me if I do not take it then I do not sleep. Taking it with other herbs also.

Man taking a vitamin or supplement

Flaxseed added fiber