Eating Healthy on the Go: Quick Foods Kids Will Love
Quick and Easy Recipes
Try these easy recipes for quick, healthy meals for your family.
Main Dish Recipes
Personal Pita Pizza
1 whole wheat pita bread pocket (do not split open)
Sauce of choice (1 tablespoon pesto or BBQ sauce or 2 tablespoons pizza
1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese or a combination of
reduced-fat cheddar and mozzarella, firmly packed
Possible garden toppings: chopped green onion, sliced mushrooms, chopped
bell peppers, chopped tomatoes, sliced zucchini, minced garlic
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees or toaster oven to 350 degrees. Place pita
pocket on a piece of foil or toaster oven baking sheet.
- Spread sauce of choice over the top of the pita and sprinkle the shredded
cheese evenly over the top. Add your desired garden toppings.
- Bake for about 8 minutes in a big oven or 4 to 6 minutes in a toaster oven
(watch carefully so it doesn’t burn).
Yield: Makes one pita pizza
Nutritional Analysis per serving (using pizza sauce and 1/4 cup chopped
assorted vegetables): 288 calories, 18 g protein, 40 g carbohydrate, 6.5 g fat,
3.8 g saturated fat, 20 mg cholesterol, 6 g fiber, 660 mg sodium. Calories from
fat: 20 percent.
Mini Corn Dog Muffins
To reduce the risk of choking for children under the age of 2, use finely
chopped hot dogs instead of 1-inch pieces. These corn dog muffins can be
frozen. For a quick dinner, just pop them into the microwave for a minute to
thaw and warm up!
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk (fat-free half-and-half can also
1 large egg, higher omega-3 if available (1/4 cup egg substitute can be
1 tablespoon canola oil
Canola cooking spray
4 light or lower-fat frankfurters or meatless franks (such as light Ball
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray eight muffin cups generously with canola
- In medium size bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Using a whisk,
stir in the buttermilk, egg, and canola oil, mixing until smooth.
- Cut each hot dog into about 6 pieces (each about 1-inch long). Spoon a
scant 1/4-cup of batter into each prepared muffin cup. Place 3 hot dog pieces
into each muffin cup.
- Bake for 20 to 24 minutes or until cooked through. Serve with mustard or
catsup for dipping if desired.
Yield: Makes 8 muffins
Nutritional Analysis per muffin: 156 calories, 6 g protein, 17 g
carbohydrate, 7 g fat, 2.2 g saturated fat, 37 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 343
mg sodium. Calories from fat: 40 percent.