Jan. 15, 2016 -- One day after the World Health Organization (WHO) said the Ebola outbreak in West Africa was over, a corpse in Sierra Leone tested positive for the deadly virus.
The 22-year-old woman died earlier this month in northern Sierra Leone. Officials have sent investigators to the area and are tracing the woman's contacts. Certain areas will be quarantined, Francis Langoba Kellie, an Office of National Security spokesman, told a local radio program, the Associated Press reported.
When the WHO declared the Ebola outbreak over, it did warn that flare-ups were still possible.
"We are now at a critical period in the Ebola epidemic as we move from managing cases and patients to managing the residual risk of new infections," said Dr. Bruce Aylward, WHO's Special Representative for the Ebola Response, the AP reported.
"We still anticipate more flare-ups and must be prepared for them," he added.
The two-year Ebola outbreak in West Africa -- the worst in history -- killed more than 11,300 people.