PREVIOUS QUESTION:

 

NEXT QUESTION:

 

What is an acetaminophen overdose?

ANSWER

Acetaminophen, one of the most common pain relievers and fever reducers, is mainly broken down by the liver. Too much acetaminophen can overwhelm the way the liver normally works. An overdose can seriously damage it, and you may need a liver transplant to save your life.

N-acetylcysteine (NAC) is an antidote, but it's most effective when given within 8 hours, so it's critical that acetaminophen poisoning is recognized, diagnosed, and treated as soon as possible.

From: Acetaminophen (Tylenol) Poisoning WebMD Medical Reference

SOURCE: Acetaminophen (Tylenol) Poisoning from eMedicineHealth.

Reviewed by Carol DerSarkissian on February 28, 2018

SOURCE: Acetaminophen (Tylenol) Poisoning from eMedicineHealth.

Reviewed by Carol DerSarkissian on February 28, 2018

NEXT QUESTION:

Who is at risk for Tylenol poisoning?

WAS THIS ANSWER HELPFUL

"ALEXA, ASK WEBMD"

THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.

    This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.

    Other Answers On: