ADHD in Children Health Center Medical Reference
What to Know About Fidgeting
- How ADHD Can Impact Your Child’s Sleep
Does your child struggle with sleep? Find out why this is common and how to help.
- Can Fish Oil Help Childhood ADHD?
Fish oil supplements are sometimes suggested as a way for parents to treat their child's ADHD. Here's a look at whether they work and how safe they are.
- Talking to Your Children About ADHD Medication
ADHD meds are common for children today. So parents need to know how to talk about these drugs to counter fear and confusion. Learn some tips.
- What Is Complex ADHD?
Most kids with ADHD have at least one other problem with learning, behavior, or mood, called complex ADHD.
- Childhood ADHD vs. Conduct Disorder
ADHD and conduct disorder are both common disruptive disorders in children. Learn about their similarities and differences.
- Do Kids Grow Out of ADHD?
Do kids with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) outgrow it? Here’s what the evidence shows.
- Childhood ADHD and Screen Time
Families with a child with ADHD can struggle with screen time. Learn ways to curb harmful habits and help keep your child’s mind and body healthy.
- Family Therapy for Childhood ADHD: What to Know
Family therapy for childhood ADHD can work better than meds. Learn how different treatment types can give your household tools to manage ADHD at all ages.
- How Does ADHD Stigma Affect Children and Teens?
Negative attitudes about ADHD are all too common. Learn how ADHD stigma can affect your child and what you can do about it.
- Video Game and VR Therapies for ADHD
Can these technologies really help improve your child’s focus and attention?
- SNRIs for Children’s ADHD: An Alternative to Stimulants
Has your child been diagnosed with ADHD? Are you looking for an alternative to stimulant drugs? Find out about medications called SNRIs.
- Solutions for Common ADHD Med Problems
These are some of the problems ADHD medicines can cause and what to do if your child has side effects.
- Will ADHD Meds Affect My Child's Personality?
The right medicine at the right dose should affect behavior, not personality.
- Alpha-2 Agonist Drugs for Kids With ADHD
These nonstimulant drugs may work when some others don’t, or when they have bothersome side effects.
- How to Help Your Child Improve Their Working Memory
Children with ADHD often have a harder time with working memory, which can make it difficult to focus and learn. Help your child build their ability with these tips.
- Childhood ADHD and Depression: What’s the Link?
Children with ADHD are more likely to also have depression and may experience suicidal thoughts. Learn more about this connection and what to watch for.
- Teen Marijuana Use and ADHD: What to Know
Teens with ADHD are more likely to use marijuana. But marijuana use has extra risks for these young people and no proven benefits. Here’s what you should know.
- Spotting the Difference Between Childhood ADHD and Anxiety
It can be difficult to tell if your child has ADHD, anxiety, or both. Here’s what to look for when trying to spot the difference and when to seek help.
- Can Trigeminal Nerve Stimulation (TNS) Help Kids With ADHD?
The FDA approved a new nerve stimulation device for at-home use to treat ADHD in children. Here’s what you need to know about the new treatment.
- ADHD vs. ODD: Similarities and Differences
It’s common for children to have both ADHD and oppositional defiant disorder. Learn more about how they’re linked.
- Childhood ADHD vs. OCD: What to Know
ADHD and obsessive-compulsive disorder are brain conditions. What do they have in common? How do they differ?
- ADHD and Dopamine: What's the Link?
Experts believe that there’s a tie between ADHD and your child’s dopamine levels. Read more about the link here.
- ADHD vs. Non-ADHD Brain
If your child has ADHD, you know that they face separate obstacles from kids with non-ADHD brains. Learn more about the differences.
- What They See, Say, and Feel: Understanding Your Child’s Life With ADHD
If your child is living with ADHD, diving into their point of view could help you better grasp what they’re feeling and experiencing. Find out what they see, say -- and feel.
- A Well-Rounded Treatment Plan for Kids With ADHD
If you have a child with ADHD, it’s best to create a well-rounded treatment plan that combines behavioral therapies at home and school with medications.
- Learn About Your Child’s ADHD Diagnosis
Here’s a primer on the basics of ADHD to help parents advocate for their children with this common brain disorder.
- Reframing the Emotional Issues of ADHD
While ADHD is considered a behavioral disorder, it can also impact your child’s emotions. Here are some ways to help them manage their feelings.
- A Child's Life With ADHD: What Challenges Do They Face?
For kids with ADHD, life can be tough. Take a look at some of the challenges children and teens with ADHD face at home, school, and with peers, and how you can help.
- How to Manage Your ADHD Child's Screen Time
When your child has ADHD, it can be hard, but even more necessary, to monitor how much time they spend on their devices. Here are some tips on how to handle screen time.
- Explaining Your Child's ADHD to Others
It can be hard to explain your child’s ADHD to family, friends, peers, and even teachers. Here are some tips to make it easier.
- Challenging Common ADHD Myths
When it comes to attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD, it can be hard to separate fact from fiction. Learn about some common misunderstandings around the condition.
- ADHD in Children: Managing Moods and Emotions
Children with ADHD often have problems regulating their emotions. Learn why and how to help them manage.
- The Costs of Childhood ADHD
WebMD explores the costs of raising children with ADHD. Learn what to expect when it comes to doctor visits, medication, and more.
- Assistive Technology for Children With ADHD
Assistive technology is any device, software program, or tool that helps your child with ADHD learn or stay on task. Here are the main types and how they help.
- ADHD: Serious Medication Side Effects in Children
Serious side effects from ADHD medications are rare, but they can happen. Learn what to do if your child has side effects.
- Is Your Child Ready to Stop Taking ADHD Meds?
How do you know when it’s time to stop ADHD medications? And how do you wean your child off these drugs safely?
- ADHD in Children: Deciding Not to Treat With Medication
Is it safe to treat your child’s ADHD with medication? What are the reasons not to use drugs for ADHD? What are the side effects of ADHD medication? Will drugs stunt your child’s growth? Find out why you may choose not to use medication for your child’s treatment.
- ADHD in Preschoolers
Most kids are of school age when they get an ADHD diagnosis. But experts say 1 in 3 children diagnosed are preschoolers.
- Is it Safe to Give a Child CBD for ADHD?
Learn if it’s proven safe to give CBD to your child with ADHD, along with common concerns about it.
- Does ADHD Affect Handwriting?
If you or your child has ADHD and less-than-perfect penmanship, you may have wondered if there's a connection. It's true. Messy handwriting is linked to ADHD.
- Conners Scale for ADHD Assessment
The Connors rating scale is a tool many doctors use to help diagnose ADHD. Learn how it works, what it measures, and how it's scored.
- ADHD in Boys
ADHD is one of the most common childhood mental disorders. More than 6 million children in the U.S have been diagnosed with ADHD. Boys are more than twice as likely to have it than girls.
- Symptoms of ADHD in Girls
Did you know that ADHD sometimes looks different in girls? Find out more about common ADHD symptoms in girls and what to do if a girl you know might have ADHD.
- ADHD and Video Games: Is There a Link?
Kids with ADHD are drawn to video games. What’s the link, and does playing hurt or help your child?
- What Is Sluggish Cognitive Tempo?
Find out more about sluggish cognitive tempo, a condition that’s marked by mental fogginess, daydreaming, and slower mental or physical activity.
- How ADHD Can Affect Your Family
How ADHD can affect your family, parents, siblings, children.
- Risks of Untreated ADHD
If you have ADHD and don’t treat it, you could be setting yourself up for big problems down the road.
- Trauma, Kids, and ADHD: Is There a Link?
ADHD symptoms mimic the symptoms of childhood traumatic stress. Learn how to help a child diagnosed with ADHD who may have been through a traumatic event.
- When Your Child Is Newly Diagnosed With ADHD
Wondering what's next for you and your child after an ADHD diagnosis? Here are some ideas.