- For soy sauce: Olive brine, balsamic vinegar, or soy-free miso sauce -- with some additional salt.
- For soy margarines: Real butter is always an option, although you only want to use a little. If you also have a dairy allergy, there are some soy- and dairy-free margarines.
- For soy oil: Try other oils, such as canola or olive oil.
- For teriyaki sauce: This has soy sauce in it. Some people use sweet-and-sour sauce instead. But check the ingredients to be sure soybean oil isn't used in making the sweet-and-sour sauce.
- For miso (soybean paste): Look for non-soy versions made from other beans and rice. Make sure you’re not allergic to other kinds of beans. About 5% of people who are allergic to one legume, like soybeans, are allergic to other kinds, too.
Reviewed by Melinda Ratini, DO, MS on March 26, 2021