If you've got an allergy to mold, take action to keep it from growing out of control in your home. The key to success is keeping things clean and dry. Put this checklist on your fridge to remind yourself of the steps you should take.
1. Clean weekly. Disinfect where mold grows -- in trash cans, sinks, and bathrooms.
2. Look for leaks. Check your roof and pipes beneath sinks and in the basement.
3. Dry damp areas quickly. Mold can start to grow in 24 to 48 hours.
4. Keep indoor humidity 50% or lower. Use a dehumidifier if you need it.
5. Don't overwater indoor plants. Damp soil grows mold.
6. Keep your fridge clean. Watch for signs of trouble in drip trays and on door seals.
7. Clean mold from your heating or AC ductwork. Hire a professional to do it.
8. Limit storage in damp basements or garages. Don't give the fungus a chance to grow.
9. Remove carpets in damp areas. It can breed mold if you have them in your bathrooms or the basement.
10. Air out kitchens and bathrooms. Put in exhaust fans to vent moisture.
11. Move mold away. Keep compost piles, yard clippings, and firewood far from the home.
12. Make sure gutters are clean. If they're blocked, this type of fungus can grow.
13. Check your foundation. The ground should slope away from it. If it doesn't, water may drain into your basement.