PREVIOUS QUESTION:

 

NEXT QUESTION:

 

How can sulfites cause food intolerances?

ANSWER

Sulfites can occur naturally in foods or are added to enhance crispness or prevent mold growth. Sulfites in high concentrations sometimes pose problems for people with severe asthma. Sulfites can give off a gas called sulfur dioxide, which the asthmatic inhales while eating the sulfited food. This irritates the lungs and can send an asthmatic into severe bronchospasm, a constriction of the lungs. Such reactions led the FDA to ban sulfites as spray-on preservatives in fresh fruits and vegetables. However, they are still used in some foods and are made naturally during the fermentation of wine, for example.

From: Food Allergy and Food Intolerance WebMD Medical Reference

SOURCES:

The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases: "Fact Sheet: Food Allergy and Intolerances."  UpToDate. American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology.

Reviewed by Brunilda Nazario on October 29, 2018

SOURCES:

The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases: "Fact Sheet: Food Allergy and Intolerances."  UpToDate. American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology.

Reviewed by Brunilda Nazario on October 29, 2018

NEXT QUESTION:

What other diseases share symptoms with food allergies?

WAS THIS ANSWER HELPFUL

THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.

    This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.

    Other Answers On: