PREVIOUS QUESTION:

 

NEXT QUESTION:

 

What is poison ivy, oak, and sumac?

ANSWER

Poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac are plants that have an irritating, oily sap called urushiol. Urushiol triggers an allergic reaction when it comes into contact with skin and results in an itchy rash. You can be exposed to urushiol directly or by touching objects -- such as gardening tools, camping equipment, and even a pet's fur -- that have come into contact with the sap of one of the poison plants.

SOURCE: 

American Academy of Dermatology.

Reviewed by Nayana Ambardekar on July 07, 2018

SOURCE: 

American Academy of Dermatology.

Reviewed by Nayana Ambardekar on July 07, 2018

NEXT QUESTION:

What is urushiol?

WAS THIS ANSWER HELPFUL

THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.

    This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.

    Other Answers On: