PREVIOUS QUESTION:

 

NEXT QUESTION:

 

When should I get emergency care for poison ivy, oak, and sumac?

ANSWER

If you have a severe reaction to poison ivy, oak, or sumac, you should go to the emergency room right away. Some signs that you need medical help quickly are:

  • Trouble breathing
  • Difficulty swallowing
  • An eyelid swells shut
  • Rash on your face or genitals
  • Your skin itches everywhere, and nothing makes it feel better

SOURCES:

American Academy of Dermatology: "Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac."

FDA: "Outsmarting Poison Ivy and Other Poisonous Plants."

American Academy of Pediatrics: "Poison Ivy Treatment."

American Academy of Family Physicians: "Poison Ivy."

Mayo Clinic: "Poison Ivy Rash: Lifestyle and Home Remedies," "Treatments and Drugs."

UpToDate: "Poison ivy (Beyond the Basics)."

Reviewed by Melinda Ratini on November 09, 2017

SOURCES:

American Academy of Dermatology: "Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac."

FDA: "Outsmarting Poison Ivy and Other Poisonous Plants."

American Academy of Pediatrics: "Poison Ivy Treatment."

American Academy of Family Physicians: "Poison Ivy."

Mayo Clinic: "Poison Ivy Rash: Lifestyle and Home Remedies," "Treatments and Drugs."

UpToDate: "Poison ivy (Beyond the Basics)."

Reviewed by Melinda Ratini on November 09, 2017

NEXT QUESTION:

How can I treat my allergies?

WAS THIS ANSWER HELPFUL

THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.

    This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.

    Other Answers On: