Girl Using Eye Drops
1 / 10


When allergies leave you red-eyed and itchy, eyedrops can help. They ease inflammation so your eyes don't itch, tear up, or swell. Use antihistamine drops with ketotifen in them before you go outside to prevent symptoms. Try artificial tears to flush out allergens. Or look into over-the-counter decongestant eyedrops to help curb the redness. Ask your doctor what you need.

Swipe to advance
Woman holding decongestant pill
2 / 10


If stuffiness and congestion are your biggest problems, you may need decongestants. They help shrink your nasal tissues, which swell during an allergic reaction. You can get them over the counter as pills. Some are mixed with an antihistamine. If you have a health problem like high blood pressure, glaucoma, or thyroid disease, talk to your doctor before you take them.

Swipe to advance
Man Using Nasal Spray in Field
3 / 10

Nasal Sprays

Steroid versions are often the first choice to treat an allergy. If your nose feels dry inside, try a nasal saline spray to moisten it. Decongestants also come as sprays. Don't use them for more than 3 days in a row. After that, they'll make your symptoms worse. 

Swipe to advance
Variety of Antihistamine Pills
4 / 10


You need them to ease allergy symptoms such as a runny nose, sneezing, and itchy, watery eyes. They block a substance called histamine, which your immune system makes when you come across an allergen. You can get them over the counter and by prescription. Newer ones like cetirizine, desloratadine, fexofenadine, levocetirizine, and loratadine are less likely to make you sleepy. Check with your doctor or pharmacist. 

Swipe to advance
Woman Using Medical Inhaler
5 / 10


Allergies often affect asthma. If you get asthma attacks or bronchospasms, your doctor will prescribe an inhaler. This device delivers doses of a short-acting medication called a bronchodilator. If you have a mild attack, a couple of puffs will quickly relax the muscles around your airways. Inhaled steroids, another common treatment, won’t ease symptoms right away. Instead, you take them for long-term control of lung inflammation.

Swipe to advance
Girl Using EpiPen Auto Injector
6 / 10

Injectable Epinephrine

If you're at risk for a severe, life-threatening allergic reaction (your doctor will call it anaphylaxis), you'll need an epinephrine auto-injector in your kit. Using it can stop or curb a dangerous reaction to foods, medications, or insect stings that causes your airways to swell, makes it hard for you to breathe, and lowers your blood pressure. This type of reaction can be life-threatening if you don't treat it right away.

Swipe to advance
Dad Applying Ointment To Sons Face
7 / 10

Skin Creams and Lotions

Keep small tubes of moisturizer and hydrocortisone cream in your allergy kit. Use them to treat allergic reactions that show up on your skin. Moisturizers can soothe the dry, itchy feeling, and hydrocortisone cream eases inflammation. Your doctor may suggest or prescribe other medications for more serious reactions or eczema.

Swipe to advance
Medical Allergy Alert Bracelet
8 / 10

Medical Information

If you have a life-threatening allergy, you should wear a medical alert bracelet. If your allergies are mild, you can store medical information on a laminated card in your allergy kit. Include your type of allergy, your doctor’s name and phone number, emergency contact information, and health insurance information.

Swipe to advance
Happy Woman on Bed
9 / 10

Dust-Proof Pillowcase

If you travel a lot and you have dust mite allergies, pack a dust mite-proof, zippered pillow cover. You might even think about a mattress cover to boot. It's a bit more to pack, but you’ll be able to fend off this allergy and asthma trigger wherever you spend the night.

Swipe to advance
Man Packing Suitcase in Airport
10 / 10

Where to Keep an Allergy Relief Kit

Once your allergy kit is complete, go over it with your doctor. Then carry your kit with you at all times in a purse or briefcase. You could also make multiple kits -- one for home, one for travel, and one for work. Check it often for items that are expired or need to be replaced. Store one in your carry-on bag when you travel. 

Swipe to advance

Up Next

Next Slideshow Title

Sources | Medically Reviewed on 07/19/2019 Reviewed by Tyler Wheeler, MD on July 19, 2019


1)    Francis Hammond / PhotoAlto
2)    Dorling Kindersley
3)    Hitoshi Nishimura/Taxi Japan
4)    Kris Ubach and Quim Roser / Cultura
5)    Altrendo Images
6)    Dieter Klien
7)    Creatas
8)    Image Source
9)    Image Source
10)    Glow Images



American Academy of Dermatology.
American Academy of Family Physicians.
American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology.
Sanford Health.

Reviewed by Tyler Wheeler, MD on July 19, 2019

This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.

THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.