If you have an allergy to latex, it’s important to get rid of it in your house.
You may not know all the places where it may be hiding. For instance:
- Rubber sink stoppers and sink mats
- Rubber or rubber-grip utensils
- Electrical cords or water hoses
- Bath mats and floor rugs that have rubber backing
- Toothbrushes with rubber grips or handles
- Tub toys
- Sanitary napkins that have rubber in the lining or adhesive
- Condoms and diaphragms
- Disposable diapers
- Waterproof bed pads with rubber
- Underwear, socks, and other clothes with elastic bands that have rubber
- Adhesives such as glue, paste, art supplies, glue pens
- Older Barbie dolls and other rubber dolls
- Rubber bands, mouse and keyboard cords, desktop and chair pads, rubber stamps
- Mouse and wrist pads with rubber
- Keyboards and calculators with rubber keys or switches
- Pens with comfort grip or any rubber coating
- Remote controls for TVs or other appliances with rubber grips or keys
- Camera, telescope, or binocular eyepieces
- Swimming caps and bathing suits with elastic
Alternatives to Latex
Once you get a look at the above list, it may seem difficult to live without latex. But there are substitutions you can make for some more-common household items:
- Instead of rubber toys, use plastic or cloth toys.
- Use silicone bottle nipples.
- Choose synthetic or cotton gloves.
- Wear shoes made of leather or man-made material.
- To bind your documents, use paper clips, string, or twine.
- Wear a nylon or synthetic waterproof coat.
- Instead of regular balloons, use Mylar ones.
When it comes to condoms, there are latex-free versions. Just look for “latex-free” on the package.
Other Ways to Latex-Proof Your Home
If your family wears rubber-soled shoes, keep all shoes, boots, and sneakers in covered containers. That’s because some people with latex allergies might react to airborne latex particles from shoes.
Before you buy clothes or home goods, ask the supplier if they have latex in them.
If you're having a party, plan in advance to make sure latex isn't there.