Here is a set of questions you may want to ask your doctor about an Alzheimer's disease diagnosis:
1. What's the usual course of Alzheimer's disease?
2. What new treatments are available?
3. Are the drugs used to treat Alzheimer’s symptoms effective? What are their side effects?
4. Does Alzheimer's disease affect how long someone lives?
5. How long can a person function normally after receiving an Alzheimer's diagnosis?
6. Can Alzheimer's patients be a danger to themselves or others?
7. What's the best place for care: at home or in a nursing facility?
8. What do I need to do to make my home safe and comfortable for someone who has Alzheimer's?
9. What services and support organizations for Alzheimer's disease are in my area?
10. Does Alzheimer's run in families?