What should I ask my doctor about anxiety?
If you were recently diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, consider asking your doctor these questions at your next visit.
1. What are my treatment options for anxiety?
2. Are there any underlying medical problems that could be causing my anxiety symptoms?
3. Will I need to take an anxiety drug? Will I take it every day or as needed? How long will I need to take it?
4. What side effects can I expect from medications? Is there a way to minimize or prevent side effects?
5. What should I do if I miss a dose of medication?
6. Should I begin therapy sessions? Which type and for how long?
7. How long before I can expect to feel better?
8. Once treated, how likely is it that my anxiety symptoms will return?
9. What lifestyle changes can I make to help me feel better?
10. How will alcohol or other drugs interact with my medication or affect my anxiety?
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.