- Get regular exercise. Start slowly so that you don't overdo it. Build up your exercise program bit by bit, and aim for at least 2½ hours a week of moderate exercise. It's fine to be active in blocks of 10 minutes or more throughout your day and week.1
- Get enough sleep by going to bed at nearly the same time every night. Also, keep your room quiet and dark. This may reduce distractions and may help you get a good night's rest.
- Eat a balanced diet by choosing foods low in fat and high in fiber.
- Avoid foods and beverages that contain caffeine, such as chocolate and coffee, since they may increase your anxiety.
- Try some relaxation exercises. Certain breathing exercises and muscle relaxation exercises help reduce anxiety.
- Change how you think. Positive thinking can change how you feel and can reduce your anxiety.
For more information, see: