What can I do at home after hip replacement surgery?
Simple steps can make your life easier at home with a new hip joint:
- Keep stair climbing to a minimum. Plan ahead so you need to go up and down only 1 or 2 times a day.
- Sit in a firm, straight-back chair instead of recliners.
- Take away throw rugs and clutter on the floor to prevent falls.
- Use an elevated toilet seat.
- Keep enthusiastic pets away until you have healed fully.
- Ask your doctor if it’s safe to resume driving, sex, and exercise.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.