Working With Your Eosinophilic Asthma Care Team

Medically Reviewed by Dan Brennan, MD on February 04, 2022

Eosinophilic asthma is a rare type of asthma that doesn’t always respond well to common asthma treatments like corticosteroids inhalers. You may have to try several different drugs and therapies, including new biologics approved by the FDA, to get your condition under control.

The specialists on your asthma care team play an important role in helping you find the treatment that works best for you.

Meet Your Team

These are the experts you’ll most likely see if you have eosinophilic asthma.

Primary care doctors. They probably are the ones who will first diagnose your asthma. They may refer you to a specialist for more testing and treatment. They also can help coordinate care if you need to see multiple specialists. Your primary care doctor may be an internist, a family doctor, a pediatrician (for children and teens), or a gerontologist (for seniors).

Pulmonologists. These internal medicine doctors are experts on lungs, and asthma is a lung disease. Pulmonologists focus on conditions that affect your respiratory tract, which stretches from your nose to your windpipe to the lungs. If you’ve been diagnosed with eosinophilic asthma, especially if your case is severe, you’ll likely need a pulmonologist to put together a personal treatment plan.

Allergists. These doctors diagnose and treat asthma, allergies, and related diseases. Many people with eosinophilic asthma don’t have allergies. So you’re less likely to deal with an allergist than with a pulmonologist. But allergists can help you identify specific triggers that may set off your asthma flares.

Respiratory therapists. They’re not doctors. Instead, they’re certified health care professionals who work with doctors to help diagnose and treat your asthma. Respiratory therapists can show you how to use your inhalers right, analyze your breathing, and recommend treatments or treatment changes, among other things. They also respond to emergency and urgent care calls if you have an asthma attack.

Prepare for Your Appointments

To make the most of your visits with these specialists, it helps to gather -- and bring -- important information. Keep a log of your symptoms, even minor ones. Your doctor may find all of them useful. List all the meds you take, both prescription and over-the-counter, as well as any vitamins and supplements. Be sure to note your dosages, too, or just bring the actual medicine with you.

Jot down any questions about your treatment, action plan, or other matters. It’s easy to overlook them during an appointment. A bit of preparation will go a long way to help you get the most out of your time with your doctor.

Show Sources


American Lung Association: “Know Your Providers: What Does a Pulmonologist Do?”

American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology: “When to See an Allergist.”

American Partnership of Eosinophilic Disorders: “Eosinophilic Asthma.”

American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology: “Asthma.”

Indiana State Department of Health: “Respiratory Therapists: Patient Asthma Management.”

American Association for Respiratory Care: “What Is an RT?”

UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine: “What does an immunologist do?”

Journal of Asthma and Allergy: “Asthma referrals: a key component of asthma management that needs to be addressed.”

© 2022 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved. View privacy policy and trust info