PREVIOUS QUESTION:

 

NEXT QUESTION:

 

Can allergic reactions to sulfites be fatal?

ANSWER

The combination of asthma and sulfites can be life-threatening because it can lead to anaphylactic shock. If this happens, the entire body reacts severely to the allergen. The airways can swell shut, making it difficult to breathe. According to the American Academy of Asthma, Allergy and Immunology, as many as 5%-10% of sulfite reactions in people with asthma are fatal.

From: Asthma and Sulfite Allergies WebMD Medical Reference

SOURCES: American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology web site: "Sulfite Sensitivity." American Medical Association, 1998. Grayson MH and Holtzman MJ, "Asthma," 2005 Monro, T.  
Essential Guide to Asthma,ACP Medicine,. , published online Aug. 6, 2012.

 

Reviewed by Dan Brennan on August 18, 2019

SOURCES: American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology web site: "Sulfite Sensitivity." American Medical Association, 1998. Grayson MH and Holtzman MJ, "Asthma," 2005 Monro, T.  
Essential Guide to Asthma,ACP Medicine,. , published online Aug. 6, 2012.

 

Reviewed by Dan Brennan on August 18, 2019

NEXT QUESTION:

I have asthma and a sulfite allergy. What should I do if I have signs of an allergic reaction to sulfites?

WAS THIS ANSWER HELPFUL

THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.

    This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.

    Other Answers On: