Your pants may feel tight even if you're not that far along. Blame hormone changes. Early in pregnancy, increasing progesterone can cause your digestive system to slow down and your smooth muscle tissue to relax. This can cause bloating. It's similar to what happens to many women right before their period starts. You might also be constipated. These discomforts are normal, and usually go away after you deliver your babies. In the meantime, exercise, small meals, and high-fiber foods can help ease bloating.
Call Doctor If:
- Bloating and constipation are bothersome and home care isn’t helping.
- Do gentle exercise, such as walking or swimming, which helps keep the digestive system moving.
- Drink water throughout the day to help digestion.
- Eat smaller meals more frequently. It’s easier on the digestive system.
- Eat foods high in fiber, such as fruits and vegetables and whole grains.
- Use over-the-counter natural fiber supplementation, such as Metamucil or Benefiber, to reduce constipation.