Self-Care at Home
- Eat small, frequent meals throughout the day during pregnancy. Eat a common-sense balanced diet. Expect to gain between 11-40 pounds, depending on your beginning weight. Discuss weight gain expectations with your doctor.
- Do not discontinue prescribed medications without consulting a doctor, but also consult with a doctor before taking any nonprescription medications.
- Ginger capsules (available as an over-the-counter option) may help with nausea in pregnancy, sometimes called morning sickness. However, there are safety concerns about supplements. Talk with a doctor about other options.
- Do not smoke, drink alcohol, or use street drugs.
- Continue to exercise with normal routines unless the doctor advises otherwise. Be sure to get adequate water intake for exercise.
- Sexual intercourse is safe and natural during an uncomplicated pregnancy.