Babies love the soothing back-and-forth motion of a rocker. Moms love the calming effect it has on their crying infant -- and the chance to get off their feet and relax for a few minutes while they nurse. Rockers are a win-win, if you find the right one.
Here's what to look for:
- Old-fashioned wooden rockers are space savers, but they've got hard, uncomfortable backs and moving runners that a crawling baby can get caught underneath.
- Modern gliders take up more room, but they come with comfy cushions. Add an ottoman so you have a place to rest tired feet.
- When you shop, give each rocker or glider a test ride. It should move smoothly and silently. You don't want your sleeping baby awakened to a symphony of squeaks and creaks.
- The seat should be big enough to comfortably fit you and your growing baby.
- Make sure the headrest is high enough so you can lean back against it. You'll appreciate that feature during those exhausting late-night feedings.
- Choose an easy-to-wash fabric. You'll want it to come clean after baby spit-ups and spills.
- Choose a color that helps calm baby. Blue or green are good color choices.