Delaying labor even for a short time can allow you to be:
- Moved to a medical center that has a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU).
- Given medicine to speed up lung development, which takes at least 48 hours to fully benefit the baby's lungs. Even 24 hours provides some benefit.
- AntibioticsAntibiotics, to prevent or treat infection.
- Antenatal corticosteroids, to help prepare the fetus's lungs for preterm birth.
- Tocolytic medicinesTocolytic medicines, to stop preterm labor. Examples include:
Certain tocolytic medicines can be dangerous when a fetus is showing signs of distress or for women with certain health conditions (such as heart problems, severe preeclampsia, or poorly controlled diabetes or high blood pressure).