There is no clear evidence that you can prevent low back pain. But there are some things you can do that may help prevent it. And they can prepare you for faster recovery if you do have low back pain.
- Exercise to keep your back healthy and strong.
- Learn how to lift objects safely to protect your back.
- Think about your posture, whether you are sitting or standing.
- Try different sleeping positions that protect your back.
- Wear low-heeled shoes.
- Stay at a healthy weight to avoid excess strain on your lower back. For more information, see the topic Weight Management.
- If you smoke, quit.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Manage stress.
To learn more, see Living With Low Back Pain.