Healthy Beauty News & Features
Can This Common Herb Help Grow Hair?
- Gray Hair and Aging: Could ‘Stuck’ Stem Cells Be to Blame?
April 20, 2023 — Your hair has stem cells near the roots, and they help make your hair its natural color. But these cells need to move to a different part of the follicle and change to produce hair color. When these stem cells get “stuck” and can’t do their job, gray hair comes out instead, new research reveals.
- Ultraviolet Nail Polish Dryers Could Pose Health Risk
January 19, 2023 — Using ultraviolet light to dry gel fingernail polish could contribute to cancer risk, a study by the University of California San Diego has found.
- Skin Removal After Weight Loss Surgery: What to Know
December 6, 2022 — Weight loss surgery often results in loose, sagging skin that can’t be reduced through exercise. Procedures known as “body contouring” can help reduce the side effect.
- 'Slugging': A TikTok Skin Trend That Has Some Merit
December 6, 2022 — The technique may help some, but dermatologists warn that those with acne-prone skin should probably steer clear of slathering their face with petroleum jelly.
- Indian Beauty: a (Re)Discovery
Many of the health and beauty treatments we pay top dollar for in the U.S. come from India and are hundreds – if not thousands upon thousands – of years old.
- Hair Color for Natural Hair: What to Know
If you have natural hair and you’re thinking of coloring it, read this first.
- Ingredients to Help Natural Hair Thrive
A board-certified dermatologist and a celebrity hairstylist share ingredients and tips to help natural hair thrive.
- Expert Q&A: Common Skin Conditions That Affect People of Color
Read WebMD’s interview with dermatologist Valerie Harvey, MD, MPH, FAAD, president of the Skin of Color Society, about common skin conditions in people of color.
- What to Know if You Wear Fake Eyelashes
If you wear fake eyelashes, do your research to find out exactly how safe they are and what you can do to improve your experience.
- Is Your Makeup Still Good After a Year?
Makeup products may sit on your counters for months or years. Are they still good to use after a year?
- Are Harmful Chemicals Hiding in Your Cosmetics?
Anxious about harmful chemicals hiding in your cosmetics? Here's what you need to know.
- Can You Safely Tint Your Brows and Lashes?
Learn more about tinting brows and lashes, the risks involved, and how to do it safely.
- Sun Protective Clothing: What to Know
Protecting your skin from the sun is extremely important. Sun protective clothing provides a reliable layer of security from harmful UV rays.
- What Kojic Acid Can Do for Your Skin
Learn about the skin benefits of kojic acid and how it can help your skin.
- What Ferulic Acid Can Do For Your Skin
Learn about the benefits of ferulic acid and how it can help your skin.
- What Glycolic Acid Can Do for Your Skin
What can you expect if you try skin products and procedures with glycolic acid? Find out.
- How to Take Off Gel Nail Polish
Step-by-step tips on how to take off gel nail polish.
- Skin Care Ingredients for Sensitive Skin
Learn about the best skin care ingredients for sensitive skin.
- How to Choose the Best Night Cream
Learn what to look for when shopping for a night cream.
- How to Choose the Best Shampoo
Learn what to look for when shopping for a shampoo.
- Tips for Great Lips
When it comes to skin care, people forget that their lips need attention. Learn some new tips for great lips to help get rid of bothersome lip dryness.
- How to Choose the Best Conditioner
Learn what to look for when shopping for a conditioner.
- How to Care for Your Braids
Braids can be both protective and damaging to your hair and scalp. Learn what you can do to take care of them for the most benefit.
- Beard Care: 7 Tips for a Healthy Beard
Learn about ways to keep your beard and the underlying skin healthy.
- How to Color Your Own Hair
Step-by-step tips on how to start coloring your hair at home.
- How to Shave Without Cutting Yourself
No matter how practiced you are, understanding more about shaving techniques, different kinds of razors, and more can help you shave without cutting yourself.
- How to Grow Out Your Hair
Ready to have longer hair? Learn more about what you can do to grow out your hair faster.
- How to Get Chewing Gum and Superglue Out of Your Hair
Step-by-step tips on how to get gum and glue out of your hair using household products.
- 3 Types of Skin Care Ingredients for Dry Skin
Learn what types of skin care ingredients can help manage dry skin.
- Eco-Friendly Fashion Habits
Learn simple ways to make your fashion style and wardrobe environmentally friendly.
- Does Sunscreen Expire? What to Look for in a Sunscreen
Learn more about the expiration date on your sunscreen, along with what to look for on the label when buying a sunscreen.
- 6 Problems Caused by Beards
Do you have a beard? Learn about six problems facial hair can cause and what you can do to treat or prevent them.
- Skin Care Ingredients for Oily Skin
Learn about skin care ingredients that will control oily skin.
- How to Choose a Facial Mask
Struggling to find the perfect facial mask? Learn more about how to choose the best facial mask for your skin type.
- Does Drinking Water Really Help Your Skin?
Drinking eight glasses of water a day is key to healthy, younger-looking skin. Or is it? See what science says water does -- and doesn’t do -- for your skin.
- Dos and Don'ts of Skin Hydration
We all want soft, glowing skin. Find out what to do -- and not do -- to keep your skin hydrated so its looks and feels its best.
- 15 Expert Tips for Applying a Self-Tanner
For those who love the look of bronzed skin but want to avoid the health risks of sun exposure, see our expert tips on using self-tanners.
- DIY Hair Color Like a Pro
Thinking of dying your own hair? The pros say it’s possible to have salon-quality results at home if you stick to some guidelines.
- Injectables: Are Fillers and Neuromodulators Right for You?
For skin beauty treatment without surgery, neuromodulators (also known as neurotoxins) and hyaluronic acid injectables are more popular. Experts explain the art and science of these popular shots.
- 10 Anti-Aging Hair Care Tips
Hair experts share their best anti-aging hair care tips and tricks to keep your strands looking healthy and youthful to represent your individual style.
- What to Do About Age Spots
What are age spots, the flat, light-brown spots that pop up on your skin as you age? Does the sun alone cause them? What can treat them, and when should you see a doctor? A dermatology professor explains.
- 7 Best Natural Ingredients for Your Skin
The beauty world has many high-tech devices and cutting-edge ingredients. But sometimes, simple, natural things might work just as well as those created by scientific engineering.
- Winter-Proof Your Skin
What is it about winter and dry skin? A dermatologist explains and offers some tips and tricks to soothe winter dry skin.
- Essential Oils Promise Help, But Beware the Risks
August 13, 2018 — In the past year alone, U.S. retail sales of essential oils soared 14% to $133 million -- up from $55 million in 2015 -- according to market research firm SPINS.
- Habits That Wreck Your Skin
You might be surprised at these harmful things that can wreck your skin.
- Sensitive Skin Solutions
How to know if you have sensitive skin, what that really means, and how to choose the best products and skin-care routine to avoid irritation and allergies.
- Simple Steps for Softer, Smoother Skin
Skin can become rough and dry because of cold air, irritating clothing, or other things. Here’s what dermatologists suggest for getting and keeping smooth skin at any age.
- Are You in a Skin Care Rut?
Don’t get stuck in a rut. Learn how to update your skin care routine.
- Name Game: Natural Beauty Products Explained
What do "eco" and "organic" really mean when it comes to your skin care?