Healthy Beauty News & Features
Black Hairdressers May Be at High Risk From Toxic Chemicals
- Ultraviolet Nail Polish Dryers Could Pose Health Risk
January 19, 2023 — Using ultraviolet light to dry gel fingernail polish could contribute to cancer risk, a study by the University of California San Diego has found.
- 'Slugging': A TikTok Skin Trend That Has Some Merit
December 6, 2022 — The technique may help some, but dermatologists warn that those with acne-prone skin should probably steer clear of slathering their face with petroleum jelly.
- Skin Removal After Weight Loss Surgery: What to Know
December 6, 2022 — Weight loss surgery often results in loose, sagging skin that can’t be reduced through exercise. Procedures known as “body contouring” can help reduce the side effect.
- Dove, Tresemme Dry Shampoos Recalled Due to Possible Carcinogen
October 25, 2022 — Unilever has recalled certain dry shampoo sprays sold under the brand names Dove, Nexxus, Suave, TIGI (Rockaholic and Bed Head) and TRESemmé because they may contain elevated levels of benzene.
- Hair Straightening Products Linked to Uterine Cancer Risk: Study
October 18, 2022 — Women who use chemical hair straightening products may be at an increased risk for uterine cancer, according to new research.
- Indian Beauty: a (Re)Discovery
October 11, 2022 — Many of the health and beauty treatments we pay top dollar for in the U.S. come from India and are hundreds – if not thousands upon thousands – of years old.
- TikTok 'Slugging' Trend Has People Coating Their Faces With Grease
September 13, 2022 — Slugging involves slathering some sort of sealing agent -- like Vaseline or another petroleum-based ointment -- onto the skin.
- FDA Approves Botox Competitor That Lasts Longer
September 9, 2022 — The FDA has approved a new option for minimizing wrinkles which is the first competitor for Botox in decades.
- FDA Warns of Dangers From Skin Lightening Creams
September 1, 2022 — The FDA warns that skin lightening products can be dangerous when they contain the potentially harmful ingredients hydroquinone or mercury.
- Dermatologists Skeptical of Calamine Lotion TikTok Trend
August 16, 2022 — The #calamine lotion tag has millions of views on TikTok, with hundreds of videos hailing the cream for its matte effect when used as a makeup primer.
- Hair Color for Natural Hair: What to Know
July 27, 2022 — If you have natural hair and you’re thinking of coloring it, read this first.
- Ingredients to Help Natural Hair Thrive
July 22, 2022 — A board-certified dermatologist and a celebrity hairstylist share ingredients and tips to help natural hair thrive.
- Pick Your Sunscreen Carefully: 75% Don't Pass Muster
May 5, 2022 — About 75% of more than 1,850 sunscreen products evaluated offer inferior sun protection or have worrisome ingredients, according to the Environmental Working Group, a nonprofit research and advocacy group which just issued its 16th annual Guide to Sunscreens.
- Expert Q&A: Common Skin Conditions That Affect People of Color
April 29, 2022 — Read WebMD’s interview with dermatologist Valerie Harvey, MD, MPH, FAAD, president of the Skin of Color Society, about common skin conditions in people of color.
- FDA Warns Companies Selling OTC Skin Lighteners
April 20, 2022 — Side effects associated of products that have been reported to the FDA include skin rashes, facial swelling, and skin discoloration or ochronosis.
- Two Suave Deodorants Recalled Due to High Benzene Levels
March 31, 2022 — Unilever has recalled two types of Suave deodorants due to slightly high levels of benzene, a substance that can cause cancer.
- When You’re Body Positive and They’re Not
February 7, 2022 — Are you body positive, but the people around you aren’t like that? Here’s how to hold on to your positive body image.
- FDA Issues Stronger Safety Requirements for Breast Implants
October 29, 2021 — The agency is now restricting the sale of implants and mandates that the packaging of these devices include a warning label.
- Don't Give Yourself Fillers with These Devices, FDA Says
October 11, 2021 — Needle-free devices and fillers are being sold directly to consumers online, and are promoted on social media "to increase lip volume, improve the appearance of wrinkles, change the shape of the nose, and other similar procedures," according to the FDA warning.
- The Right Order to Use Your Skin Care Products
September 24, 2021 — Learn the correct steps for using your skincare products for the best effectiveness.
- What to Know if You Wear Fake Eyelashes
September 24, 2021 — If you wear fake eyelashes, do your research to find out exactly how safe they are and what you can do to improve your experience.
- Is Your Makeup Still Good After a Year?
September 24, 2021 — Makeup products may sit on your counters for months or years. Are they still good to use after a year?
- Can You Safely Tint Your Brows and Lashes?
September 23, 2021 — Learn more about tinting brows and lashes, the risks involved, and how to do it safely.
- Are Harmful Chemicals Hiding in Your Cosmetics?
September 23, 2021 — Anxious about harmful chemicals hiding in your cosmetics? Here's what you need to know.
- What Glycolic Acid Can Do for Your Skin
September 22, 2021 — What can you expect if you try skin products and procedures with glycolic acid? Find out.
- Sun Protective Clothing: What to Know
September 22, 2021 — Protecting your skin from the sun is extremely important. Sun protective clothing provides a reliable layer of security from harmful UV rays.
- What Kojic Acid Can Do for Your Skin
September 22, 2021 — Learn about the skin benefits of kojic acid and how it can help your skin.
- What Ferulic Acid Can Do For Your Skin
September 22, 2021 — Learn about the benefits of ferulic acid and how it can help your skin.
- How to Take Off Gel Nail Polish
September 20, 2021 — Step-by-step tips on how to take off gel nail polish.
- 8 Common Sunscreen Mistakes
September 20, 2021 — Learn common sunscreen mistakes and how to avoid them.
- Skin Care Ingredients for Sensitive Skin
September 20, 2021 — Learn about the best skin care ingredients for sensitive skin.
- How to Choose the Best Night Cream
September 3, 2021 — Learn what to look for when shopping for a night cream.
- How to Choose the Best Shampoo
September 2, 2021 — Learn what to look for when shopping for a shampoo.
- Tips for Great Lips
September 2, 2021 — When it comes to skin care, people forget that their lips need attention. Learn some new tips for great lips to help get rid of bothersome lip dryness.
- How to Choose the Best Conditioner
September 2, 2021 — Learn what to look for when shopping for a conditioner.
- How to Color Your Own Hair
August 30, 2021 — Step-by-step tips on how to start coloring your hair at home.
- How to Care for Your Braids
August 30, 2021 — Braids can be both protective and damaging to your hair and scalp. Learn what you can do to take care of them for the most benefit.
- How to Care for Your Hair Weave or Extensions
August 30, 2021 — Step-by-step tips on how to wash extensions and hair weaves.
- Makeup, Sunscreen, and UV Rays: What to Know
August 30, 2021 — Learn about how to protect your skin from the sun using makeup, sunscreen, and more.
- Beard Care: 7 Tips for a Healthy Beard
August 30, 2021 — Learn about ways to keep your beard and the underlying skin healthy.
- How to Shave Without Cutting Yourself
August 27, 2021 — No matter how practiced you are, understanding more about shaving techniques, different kinds of razors, and more can help you shave without cutting yourself.
- How to Grow Out Your Hair
August 25, 2021 — Ready to have longer hair? Learn more about what you can do to grow out your hair faster.
- How to Get Chewing Gum and Superglue Out of Your Hair
August 24, 2021 — Step-by-step tips on how to get gum and glue out of your hair using household products.
- Do You Need Sun Protection for Skin of Color?
August 23, 2021 — It’s a common assumption that people of color don’t need sunscreen. But people with darker skin need sun protection as much as anyone else.
- 3 Types of Skin Care Ingredients for Dry Skin
August 20, 2021 — Learn what types of skin care ingredients can help manage dry skin.
- Eco-Friendly Fashion Habits
August 20, 2021 — Learn simple ways to make your fashion style and wardrobe environmentally friendly.
- Does Sunscreen Expire? What to Look for in a Sunscreen
August 20, 2021 — Learn more about the expiration date on your sunscreen, along with what to look for on the label when buying a sunscreen.
- Skin Care Ingredients for Oily Skin
August 19, 2021 — Learn about skin care ingredients that will control oily skin.
- Ingredients to Look for for Various Hair Textures
August 19, 2021 — Learn how to choose the right hair products for your hair’s texture.