There are a lot of different options when it comes to breast reconstruction after a lumpectomy or mastectomy. If you didn't have reconstruction done at the same time as your mastectomy, a process known as oncoplastic surgery, you may need to choose a reconstructive surgeon. Here are some tips for finding the right one for you:
- Ask trusted members of your medical team or people in your support group for recommendations.
- Set up a consultation to make sure you're comfortable with the surgeon before you commit.
- Talk to other patients who've had the type of reconstruction surgery you're considering.
- Look for a surgeon with a lot of experience in the type of surgery you're having (breast cancer surgery, as well as implants, flap procedure, fat grafting, etc.).
- Verify that your surgeon is certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
- Use the consultation appointment to determine if the surgeon's communication style is a good fit for you.
- Consider traveling to a larger city if you're having trouble finding a qualified surgeon who makes you feel comfortable.