Next Slideshow Title
IMAGES PROVIDED BY:
1) Science Photo Library - STEVE GSCHMEISSNER. / Getty Images
2) vxlomegav6 / Thinkstock
3) AlexLMX / Thinkstock
4) ktsimage / Thinkstock
5) Stockbyte / Getty Images
6) fakezzz / Thinkstock
7) Top, bottom: Auscape / UIG / Getty Images, GI15879022 / Thinkstock
8) Clockwise from top left: Michael Abbey / Science Source, Biology Pics / Science Source, Carolina Biological / Medical Images, Jean Secchi / Dominique Lecaque / Roussel-Uclaf / CNRI / Science Source
9) DOROTHEA ZUCKER-FRANKLIN / Medical Images
10) ERproductions Ltd / Thinkstock
11) keerati1 / Thinkstock
12) agrobacter / Getty Images
13) Jose Oto / Science Source
14) Hero Images / Getty Images
15) BSIP / JACOPIN / Medical Images
16) Pixologic Studio / Science Source
17) Goodshoot / Thinkstock
18) MargoeEdwards / Thinkstock
19) Javier Larrea / Getty Images
20) FatCamera / Getty Images
21) Ikonoklast_Fotografie / Thinkstock
22) Jose Luis Pelaez / Getty Images
National Cancer Institute: "Leukemia -- Patient Version."
Cleveland Clinic: "Leukemia: Outlook / Prognosis," "Leukemia: Management and Treatment."
OncoLink: "All About Leukemia," "All About Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML)," "All About Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL)," "All About Adult Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia (ALL)."
Mayo Clinic: "Leukemia."
Leukaemia Care: "Leukaemia."
American Cancer Society: "How Is Chronic Myeloid Leukemia Staged?" "How Is Acute Myeloid Leukemia Diagnosed?" "How Is Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Diagnosed?" "How Is Chronic Myeloid Leukemia Diagnosed?" "What Are the Key Statistics for Childhood Leukemia?"
American Society of Hematology: "Leukemia."
Leukemia & Lymphoma Society: "Stem Cell Transplantation," "Watch and Wait," "Facts and Statistics," "Childhood ALL."
News release, FDA: "FDA approval brings first gene therapy to the United States."
Reviewed by Laura J. Martin, MD on April 22, 2018
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
View our slideshows to learn more about your health.