Colorectal Cancer Medical Reference
Can I Reverse My Colostomy or Ileostomy?
- When Colon Cancer Spreads to Your Bones
When your colorectal cancer spreads to your bones, there are a lot of things you need to know.
- Colorectal Cancer or GI Disorder? How to Tell
It’s easy to confuse the symptoms of colorectal cancer and many common GI disorders. But there are some important differences, too.
- Ease Symptoms of Colon Cancer That Spreads to Liver
Learn tips to help you manage pain, fatigue, stomach upset, and other symptoms that can happen if you have colon cancer that spreads to your liver.
- Monitoring Colon Cancer That Spreads to the Liver
Learn about the tests your doctor will use to check your condition if you have colon cancer that spreads to the liver.
- What Is a 'Virtual' Colonoscopy?
Virtual colonoscopy is a test doctors use to screen for colorectal cancer. Learn how it works and whether it’s right for you.
- What You Should Know About Colon Polyps
Learn the basics about polyps inside your large intestine and what it means if your doctor finds one.
- What Is Tubular Adenoma?
Tubular adenomas are the most common polyps found in your colon. They’re usually harmless, but they sometimes can turn cancerous. Here’s what you need to know.
- What Is Ostomy?
You may need an ostomy if you can no longer poop or pee normally. Here’s what to expect from the surgery.
- Guide to Colostomy Bags
Need to use a colostomy bag? Here's what you should know about them.
- What Is a Bowel Resection?
For some diseases and conditions, part of the bowel needs to be removed. Learn more about this procedure, which doctors call bowel resection.
- Why Your Doctor Wants You to Get a Colonoscopy
What's the big deal about colonoscopies and does everyone need to get one?
- What Is Recurrent Colorectal Cancer?
Learn about the symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment of recurrent colorectal cancer.
- Desmoid Tumors: What You Need to Know
A desmoid tumor is rare, and getting the right diagnosis is important. Here's what you need to know.
- Colonoscopy: What to Know
Don’t fear the colonoscopy. Instead learn all about this life-saving procedure.
- Colon and Rectal Cancer: What’s the Difference?
They’re often lumped together, but colon and rectal cancer have some key differences.
- What Is a Stoma for Colostomy?
Learn why you need a stoma after bowel surgery and how to care for it.
- What Are the Treatments for Stage IV Colon Cancer?
Treatments for stage IV colon cancer can help you live longer and could even cure your cancer. Learn which options your doctor might recommend.
- What’s the Outlook for Stage IV Colon Cancer?
Statistics don't tell the whole story about stage IV colon cancer. Learn what to expect after you're diagnosed.
- How Do I Know if I Have Stage IV Colon Cancer?
Learn the symptoms of stage IV colon cancer. And find out which tests your doctor uses to find the right treatment.
- 12 Questions to Ask if Colon Cancer Is in Your Liver
When your doctor tells you that colon cancer has spread to your liver, you can use these questions to help you get the information you need to make decisions about your next steps, including prognosis, treatment options, and side effects.
- Colonoscopy Risks
Colonoscopy is a much-needed procedure. But it’s not without risks. Find out what they are.
- Lynch Syndrome: Get the Facts
Are you at risk for Lynch syndrome? Learn the latest information on available tests and treatments.
- How to Prepare for a Colonoscopy
Don’t avoid a colonoscopy because you’re worried about the preparation. Learn what to expect and how to get ready.
- Advanced Colorectal Cancer: What to Expect
When colorectal cancer spreads to other parts of your body, it’s called advanced or metastatic disease. You can feel better and live longer with treatment.
- Colorectal Cancer Diagnosis? What You Can Do
What comes next after you learn you have colorectal cancer? Here’s how you can get ready for what’s ahead.
- At-Home Screening Test for Colon Cancer
A look at Cologuard, an at-home screening test for colon cancer. Is it an alternative to a colonoscopy? Find out.
- When Colon Cancer Spreads to Your Liver
When colon cancer is advanced, it has spread, or metastasized, beyond the colon. The liver is one of the places it can go. Learn about how doctors treat colon cancer in the liver.
- Colorectal Cancer Surgery
WebMD explains types of surgeries and other procedures to treat colorectal cancer.
- What to Expect During Colorectal Cancer Surgery
WebMD tells you what to expect before, during, and after colorectal cancer surgery.
- What Are Colorectal Cancer Treatments by Stage?
Learn about treatment for different stages of colorectal cancer.
- What Is a Digital Rectal Exam?
WebMD explains how a digital rectal exam is used to detect abnormalities, such as growths, in both men and women.
- Treatment of Precancerous Colon Conditions
Learn about treating polyps and other colon conditions that could lead to colorectal cancer.
- Avastin Questions and Answers
WebMD answers questions about Avastin, a drug used in the treatment of colorectal and other cancers.
- Monoclonal Antibodies for Treating Colorectal Cancer
WebMD explains the use of monoclonal antibodies to treat advanced colorectal cancer, including side effects.
- Colon Cancer Signs and Symptoms
WebMD explains the symptoms of colorectal cancer.
- Understanding Colorectal Cancer -- The Basics
Get the basics on colorectal cancer from the experts at WebMD.
- Eating to Prevent Colorectal Cancer
Nutritional information that may help reduce the risk of colorectal cancer.
- Chemotherapy for Colorectal Cancer
WebMD explains chemotherapy for colorectal cancer, including side effects.
- Living With a Colostomy
What to expect when you have a colostomy.
- Laparoscopic Abdominoperineal Resection
Colorectal cancer may be treated with a laparoscopic abdominoperineal resection, an operation in which the anus, rectum, and sigmoid colon are removed and a colostomy performed. Learn more from WebMD.
- Colorectal Cancer: 9 Things That Raise Your Risk
Could you be at risk for colorectal cancer? Learn more from WebMD about risk factors like family history, a history of other GI disorders, and diet.
- Colorectal Cancer Glossary of Terms
WebMD provides a glossary of medical terms related to colorectal cancer.
- Colostomy Questions and Answers
WebMD provides answers to questions about living with a colostomy, including care, travel, and supplies.
- What Is Flexible Sigmoidoscopy?
Doctors use flexible sigmoidoscopy to examine the rectum and the lower part of the colon. Learn what to expect during this procedure.
- What Are the Stages of Colon and Rectal Cancer?
Learn about the stages of colon and rectal cancer.
- Frequently Asked Questions About Colorectal Cancer
WebMD answers common questions about colorectal cancer, including screening recommendations and tests, and how to combat cancer-related fatigue.
- Tips to Care for Your K-Pouch (Continent Ileostomy)
WebMD explains how to care for your ileostomy, or K-pouch.
- What Is an Air Contrast Barium Enema?
An air contrast barium enema is a test used to obtain a visual image of the colon. Learn more about the procedure here.
- Ileocolectomy and Right Colectomy (Removal of the Right Colon)
Read about laparoscopic ileocolectomy and right colectomy for colorectal cancer and other bowel problems.