WebMD Logo Icon
WebMD Connect to Care helps you find services to manage your health. When you purchase any of these services, WebMD may receive a fee. WebMD does not endorse any product, service or treatment referred to on this page. X

Medigap Plan F vs. G: Which Is Right For You?

By John McGuire
Medigap policies help reduce out-of-pocket expenses. Medigap Plan F and Plan G are great choices, but how do you decide between the two?

Before we discuss Medigap Plan F vs G, let's answer the more basic question: “What is Medigap?” Original Medicare (Parts A and B) doesn't cover a number of expenses, such as copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles. Medigap, sometimes called Medicare Supplement, is a form of insurance that can bridge this coverage gap. With Medigap plans, you pay a monthly premium to the private insurance company that issues the policy according to standardized Medicare terms. 

There are 10 different standardized Medigap plans, two of which are Medigap Plan F and Medigap Plan G. We turned to the official U.S. government website for Medicare to answer your questions about Medigap Plan F vs G.

What Does Medigap Plan F Offer?

Before getting into the Medigap details, it’s helpful to review three basic terms you’ll need to know.

  • Deductible: A deductible is a set amount that you pay before Medicare starts to cover any expenses. The deductible amount resets every year.
  • Coinsurance: Consider coinsurance as your share of the total cost of your medical bill after the deductible is paid. Coinsurance is usually expressed as a percentage, 20% for example. In this case, Medicare would pay 80% and your share would be the remaining 20%. 
  • Copayments: A copayment is a fee that you are charged for a health care service or item. For instance, you'll pay a copayment fee to see a provider or get a prescription medication. Copayments are set amounts (typically $10-$20), as opposed to a percentage.

Coinsurance, deductibles, and copayments could potentially lead to large out-of-pocket expenses for you. This is where Medigap benefits come in. Medigap Plan F offers to pay for the following costs:

  • Part A coinsurance or hospital costs
  • Part A hospice coinsurance or copayment
  • Part A deductible
  • Part B coinsurance or copayment
  • Part B deductible
  • Part B excess charge
  • Skilled nursing facility care coinsurance
  • Blood transfusion (the first three pints)
  • Foreign travel exchange (80%)

What Does Medigap Plan G Offer?

The costs covered by Medigap Plan G are almost identical to Plan F, but there is a slight difference. Plan G offers:

  • Part A coinsurance or hospital costs
  • Part A hospice coinsurance or copayment
  • Part A deductible
  • Part B coinsurance or copayment
  • Part B excess charge
  • Skilled nursing facility care coinsurance
  • Blood transfusion (the first 3 pints)
  • Foreign travel exchange (80%)

So, what’s the difference between Plan F and Plan G? To put it simply, Plan G does not cover the Part B deductible.

In 2021, the Part B deductible is $203. Plan B expenses are non-hospital medically necessary services. This includes most doctor visits, lab tests, outpatient services, and durable medical equipment, among other things.  

Get started now. 

Interested in learning more about Medicare, Medigap, and Medicare Advantage plans? WebMD Connect to Care Advisors may be able to help.