Humana Medicare Advantage Plans offer private insurance to Medicare beneficiaries. As with all Medicare Advantage plans, these plans offer the same coverage that Original Medicare Parts A and B provide, but may also come with additional benefits, like dental and vision care as well as a variety of non-medical perks. Read on for more about Humana's Medicare Advantage offerings.
Medical Benefits Under Humana Medicare Advantage Plans
All Medicare Advantage plans offer Part A and Part B coverage, according to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. This means that you'll get the same hospital and medical care benefits as Original Medicare with Medicare Advantage. However, many Medicare Advantage plans, including Humana Medicare Advantage plans, also offer additional benefits.
Depending on the Humana plan you enroll in, you may be eligible for:
- Dental coverage
- Vision care
- Prescription drug coverage similar to or more expansive than what you would get with Medicare Part D
- Coverage for annual preventive care with no additional copay
- Coverage for certain alternative and complementary modalities, such as acupuncture
There is no single Humana Medicare Advantage plan. Instead, Humana offers a wide range of plans in different insurance markets. Therefore, the specifics of your benefits will depend on the type of plan you sign up for, as well as the particular plans available in your area.
Among Humana's Medicare Advantage offerings are health maintenance organization (HMO) plans, preferred provider organization (PPO) plans, private fee-for-service (PFFS) plans, and special needs plans (SNPs). You can use the official Humana website to compare the coverage and benefits of each type of plan and view the specific plans available in your zip code.
Non-Medical Benefits Under Humana Medicare Advantage Plans
Traditional Medicare does not cover non-medical benefits like long-term care, healthy food, or over-the-counter drugs. But some Humana Medicare plans do.
A few examples of benefits that many Humana plans include are:
- An allowance for over-the-counter personal care items
- A monthly allowance of up to $75 for healthy foods bought through pre-approved retailers, if you participate in a Dual Eligible Special Needs Plan
- Access to home-delivered meals for eligible members, such as those who have recently had a hospital stay
- A fitness program membership
- A Health Essentials Kit with items for preventing the spread of infections
- $0 copays for telehealth, urgent care, and outpatient behavioral health
- In-home healthcare for eligible members
Be sure to review your prospective plan's documents to learn about eligibility requirements. For example, in order to be eligible for certain benefits, you might need to buy over-the-counter drugs from specific retailers or get a medical provider to say that you need home meal delivery.
Get Started Now
Interested in learning more about Medicare, Medigap, and Medicare Advantage plans? WebMD Connect to Care Advisors may be able to help.