IMAGES PROVIDED BY:
(1) LWA / Photodisc / Photolibrary
(2) Dylan Ellis / Digital Vision / Photolibrary
(3) Stuart Monk / iStockphoto
(4) Ben Welsh / age fotostock / Photolibrary
(5) Image Source / Photolibrary
(6) Don Klumpp / Photographer's Choice / Getty Images
(7) Dr. Heinz Linke/ iStockphoto
(8) Jon Feingersh / Blend Images / Photolibrary
(9) Ariel Skelley / Blend Images / Getty Images
(10) Tariq Dajani / Stone / Getty Images
(11) Tim Robberts / Photographer's Choice / Getty Images
(12) Marc Romanelli / The Image Bank / Getty Images
(13) Ken Chernus / Stone / Getty Images
(14) Kablonk! / Photolibrary
(15) Peter Cade / Iconica / Getty Images
(16) DreamPictures / Stone / Getty Images
(17) LWA-Dann Tardif / zefa / Corbis
American Psychological Association: "Depression and How Psychotherapy and Other Treatments Can Help People Recover," "Mind/Body Health: Stress."
Cleveland Clinic: "What is Seasonal Depression?"
Coppen, A. Journal of Psychopharmacology, January 2005.
Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance: "Food and Mood."
Harvard Health Publications: "Depression and pain," "Exercise and Depression."
Lucas, M. Archives of Internal Medicine, 2011.
National Mental Health Association: "Alcohol and Drug Abuse and Depression."
National Mental Health Information Center: "Alternative Approaches to Mental Health Care."
National Sleep Foundation: "Depression and Sleep."
Wurtman, R. Obesity Research, November 1995.
Reviewed by Smitha Bhandari, MD on November 08, 2017
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.