Ancient cultures, such as the Egyptians, Persians, and Hindus, believed the world began as a large egg, one reason the egg is a symbol of new life.
Individual hens in the United States lay about 250 to 300 eggs per year.
Most Extreme Egg
The heaviest egg, laid by a New Jersey hen in 1956, is reported to have been 1 pound.
White House Easter Egg Roll
The first White House Easter Egg Roll took place in 1878 on President Rutherford B. Hayes’ lawn, after a law was passed forbidding children to play on the Capitol grounds.
Egg Nutrition I
One one large egg has only 78 calories and just 5 g total fat. It has 187 mg cholesterol with 6 g protein.
Egg Nutrition II
The yolk is the major source of the egg’s vitamins and minerals. Egg whites are an excellent source of low-fat protein.
Every year, about 40,000 people in the United States are diagnosed with a diarrheal illness caused by salmonella; undercooked eggs are one source.
Why "Deviled" Eggs?
There’s nothing evil about deviled eggs; “deviled” refers to the spices used in the recipe.
Recipe: Baked Apples With Warm Custard Sauce
Makes 8 servings
4 large apples, halved, seeds and cores removed
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup sugar
2 cups low-fat milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place apples cut-side up on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray.
3. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples. Bake 40 minutes or until apples are tender. Set aside.
4. To make vanilla custard, whisk together eggs, sugar, and milk in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
5. Slowly cook custard over low heat until thickened (coating the back of a wooden spoon).
6 Add salt and vanilla. Let cool until warm.
7. Pour warm custard sauce over apples. Garnish with toasted almonds.