What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering Sertraline HCL to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- FDB Only When Necessary: RISK OF PERSISTENT PULM HTN AFTER 20 WKS; NEONATE BEHAVIOR SYNDR 3RD TRIMESTER
If you are NURSING
- Precaution: NO IMMEDIATE EFFECTS OBSERVED IN INFANTS, LONG TERM EFFECTS UNKNOWN.
If you are an adult over 60
- management or monitoring precaution: Hepatic-Mild hepatic impairment of aging may predispose the elderly to increased serum levels and increased adverse events. Endocrine-May exacerbate or cause SIADH or hyponatremia. Monitor sodium level closely when starting or changing dosages in older adults.
Giving Sertraline HCL to a child under 12
- Severe Precaution: Safety and efficacy not established age <6 years. Approved only age > 6 years for obsessive compulsive disorder.
- Severe Precaution: Possible increased risk of suicidal ideation. Approved in pediatrics only for OCD. Monitor behavior, weight and growth with continued use.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.