Astemizole; Terfenadine/Selected QT Prolongers Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Astemizole and terfenadine can affect your heart's rhythm. Other drugs can have the same effect.
What might happen:
Taking astemizole or terfenadine with other agents that can affect your heart rhythm may increase your risk of an irregular heartbeat, which may be life-threatening.
What you should do about this interaction:
Let your healthcare professionals (e.g doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medications together. Your doctor may want to perform an electrocardiogram (ECG) on you to check your heart's rhythm. Let your doctor know right away if you notice an irregular heartbeat or have any dizziness or fainting episodes.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Drew BJ, Ackerman MJ, Funk M, Gibler WB, Kligfield P, Menon V, Philippides GJ, Roden DM, Zareba W. Prevention of torsade de pointes in hospital settings: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology Foundation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010 Mar 2;55(9):934-47.
- 2.Apokyn (apomorphine hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Tercica, Inc. May, 2019.
- 3.Sprycel (dasatinib) US prescribing information. Bristol-Myers Squibb Company November 19, 2017.
- 4.Anzemet (dolasetron mesylate) US prescribing information. Sanofi-Aventis Us.S. LLC September, 2014.
- 5.Toviaz (fesoterodine) UK summary of product characteristics. Pfizer Limited February, 2011.
- 6.Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol fumarate) US prescribing information. Schering Corporation September, 2012.
- 7.Symbicort Turbuhaler (budesonide-eformoterol fumarate dihydrate) Australian prescribing information. AstraZeneca Pty Ltd April 30, 2004.
- 8.Primovist (gadoxetate disodium) Australian prescribing information. Schering-Plough Corporation November 1, 2005.
- 9.Primovist (gadoxetic acid) UK summary of product characteristics. Bayer plc May 1, 2008.
- 10.Tequin (gatifloxacin) US prescribing information. Bristol-Myers Squibb Company January, 2006.
- 11.Factive (gemifloxacin mesylate) US prescribing information. Merus Labs International, Inc. October, 2018.
- 12.Serenace (haloperidol) Australian prescribing information. Sigma Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd. June 5, 2001.
- 13.Dozic (haloperidol) UK summary of product characteristics. Rosemont Pharmaceuticals Limited September 10, 2007.
- 14.Haldol injection (haloperidol) US prescribing information. Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. March, 2019.
- 15.Tykerb (lapatinib) US prescribing information. GlaxoSmithKline December, 2018.
- 16.Levaquin (levofloxacin) US prescribing information. Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. October 18, 2018.
- 17.Dolophine (methadone hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Wast-Ward Pharmaceuticals Corp. October, 2019.
- 18.NegGram (nalidixic acid) US prescribing information. Sanofi-Synthelabo, Inc. November, 2012.
- 19.Noroxin (norfloxacin) US prescribing information. Merck & Co., Inc. July, 2016.
- 20.Votrient (pazopanib) US prescribing information. GlaxoSmithKline May, 2017.
- 21.Edurant (rilpivirine) US prescribing information. Tibotec Pharmaceuticals February 1, 2018.
- 22.Risperidal (risperidone) UK summary of product characteristics. Janssen-Cilag, UK Limited May 14, 2004.
- 23.Trisenox (arsenic trioxide) US Prescribing information. Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc. June, 2019.
- 24.Cipro (ciprofloxacin hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Bayer Corporation October 18, 2018.
- 25.Ciproxin (ciprofloxacin hydrochloride) UK summary of product characteristics. Bayer plc April 13, 2010.
- 26.Halaven (eribulin mesylate) US prescribing information. Eisai, Inc. January, 2016.
- 27.Trobalt (retigabine) UK summary of product characteristics. GlaxoSmithKline UK March 28, 2011.
- 28.Ablavar (gadofosveset trisodium) US prescribing information. Lantheus Medical Imaging, Inc. August, 2013.
- 29.Ranexa (ranolazine) UK summary of product characteristics. A. Menarini Pharma U.K. S.R.I. October 30, 2008.
- 30.Ranexa (ranolazine) US prescribing information. Gilead August, 2019. 31.Istodax (romidepsin) US prescribing information. Celgene Corporation November, 2018.
- 31.Tikosyn (dofetilide) US prescribing information. Pfizer Inc. December, 2013.
- 32.Betapace (sotalol hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Bayer Healthcare Inc. July, 2012.
- 33.Vibativ (telavancin) US prescribing information. Theravance Biopharma US, Inc. December 3, 2014.
- 34.Woosley RL, Romero KA. www.Crediblemeds.org, QTdrugs List, AZCERT, Inc. 1822 Innovation Park Dr., Oro Valley, AZ 85755. November 17, 2015.
- 35.Phansalkar S, Desai AA, Bell D, Yoshida E, Doole J, Czochanski M, Middleton B, Bates DW. High-priority drug-drug interactions for use in electronic health records. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2012 Sep-Oct; 19(5):735-43.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.