Tramadol/5-HT3 Antagonists Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Your nausea/vomiting medicine and tramadol may block the effects of each other in the brain.
What might happen:
Both medicines may not work as well.
What you should do about this interaction:
Let your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medicines together. Let your healthcare professional know if your pain is not controlled with your tramadol or if you still have nausea/vomiting while taking it.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Arcioni R, della Rocca M, Romano S, Romano R, Pietropaoli P, Gasparetto A. Ondansetron inhibits the analgesic effects of tramadol: a possible 5-HT(3) spinal receptor involvement in acute pain in humans. Anesth Analg 2002 Jun;94(6):1553-7, table of contents.
- 2.De Witte JL, Schoenmaekers B, Sessler DI, Deloof T. The analgesic efficacy of tramadol is impaired by concurrent administration of ondansetron. Anesth Analg 2001 May;92(5):1319-21.
- 3.Cubukcu Z, Ozbek H, Gunes Y, Gunduz M, Ozcengiz D, Isik G. Effect of ondansetron in lower extremity bone surgery on morphine and tramadol consumption using patient controlled analgesia. Agri 2007 Jan;19(1):36-41.
- 4.Broome IJ, Robb HM, Raj N, Girgis Y, Wardall GJ. The use of tramadol following day--case oral surgery. Anaesthesia 1999 Mar;54(3):289-92.
- 5.Vale C, Oliveira F, Assuncao J, Fontes-Ribeiro C, Pereira F. Co-administration of ondansetron decreases the analgesic efficacy of tramadol in humans. Pharmacology 2011;88(3-4):182-7.
- 6.Stevens AJ, Woodman RJ, Owen H. The effect of ondansetron on the efficacy of postoperative tramadol: a systematic review and meta-analysis of a drug interaction. Anaesthesia 2015 Feb;70(2):209-18.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.