What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering Ultram to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- FDB Only When Necessary: NEONATE SEIZURE/WITHDRAWAL SYN/FETAL DEATH REPORTED;SMALL TERATOGENIC RISK
If you are NURSING
- Absolute Contraindication: LOW AMOUNTS EXCRETED; MONITOR FOR RESPIRATORY DEPRESSION
If you are an adult over 60
- management or monitoring precaution: Hepatic-Start at low initial doses and titrate slowly; reduce dose for cirrhosis. Endocrine-Monitor sodium level at start and with dose changes; risk of SIADH, hyponatremia. Pulmonary-Risk of respiratory depression . Neuro/Psych-Risk for confusion, delirium and falls. Lowers seizure threshold. Avoid treatment with 3 or more CNS active drugs Renal-Avoid extended release formulation. Reduce dose for CLCr < 30 mL/min
Giving Ultram to a child under 12
- Severe Precaution: Contraindicated post adenoidectomy and/or tonsillectomy, Risk of slowed or difficult breathing and respiratory depression. Avoid in patient with obstructive sleep apnea, lung disease.
- Contraindication: Risk of slowed or difficult breathing and respiratory depression. Contraindicated age< 12 years,
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.