What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering Azulfidine to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- Possibly Safe: CASE REPORTS OF NEURAL TUBE DEFECTS. MONITOR NEWBORN FOR POSSIBLE KERNICTERUS
If you are NURSING
- Precaution: CAUTION W/ G6PD DEF; ACTIVE METABOLITE EXCRETED; MONITOR INFANT FOR DIARRHEA
If you are an adult over 60
- management or monitoring precaution: Renal: Elderly at increased risk of severe adverse reactions with decreased renal function. Metabolic: Slow acetylator status may predispose elderly to increased severe side effects.
Giving Azulfidine to a child under 12
- management or monitoring precaution: No safety and efficacy age < 2 years.
- Contraindication: Not recommended in infants under 2 months. May cause kernicterus.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.