Clopidogrel/Selected Protease Inhibitors; Cobicistat Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Your other medicine may slow down how quickly your liver process clopidogrel to its active form.
What might happen:
Your clopidogrel may not work as well or at all.
What you should do about this interaction:
Make sure your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medicines together. Your doctor may want to change your medicine.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Plavix (clopidogrel bisulfate) US prescribing information. Bristol-Myers Squibb/Sanofi Pharmaceuticals Partnership October, 2018.
- 2.Wang ZY, Chen M, Zhu LL, Yu LS, Zeng S, Xiang MX, Zhou Q. Pharmacokinetic drug interactions with clopidogrel: updated review and risk management in combination therapy. Ther Clin Risk Manag 2015;11:449-67.
- 3.University of Liverpool HIV Drug Interactions. University of Liverpool HIV Drug Interactions..
- 4.Farid NA, Payne CD, Small DS, Winters KJ, Ernest CS 2nd, Brandt JT, Darstein C, Jakubowski JA, Salazar DE. Cytochrome P450 3A inhibition by ketoconazole affects prasugrel and clopidogrel pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics differently. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2007 May;81(5):735-41.
- 5.Hauguel-Moreau M, Boccara F, Boyd A, Salem JE, Brugier D, Curjol A, Hulot JS, Kerneis M, Galier S, Cohen A, Montalescot G, Collet JP, Silvain J. Platelet reactivity in human immunodeficiency virus infected patients on dual antiplatelet therapy for an acute coronary syndrome: the EVERE2ST-HIV study. Eur Heart J 2017 Jun 1;38(21):1676-1686.
- 6.Marsousi N, Daali Y, Fontana P, Reny JL, Ancrenaz-Sirot V, Calmy A, Rudaz S, Desmeules JA, Samer CF. Impact of Boosted Antiretroviral Therapy on the Pharmacokinetics and Efficacy of Clopidogrel and Prasugrel Active Metabolites. Clin Pharmacokinet 2018 Oct;57(10):1347-1354.
- 7.This information is based on or an extract from the UW Metabolism and Transport Drug Interaction Database (DIDB) Platform, Copyright University of Washington 1999-2019..
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.