What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering Gabapentin to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- Not Recommended: INSUFFICIENT HUMAN DATA; DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY SEEN IN ANIMAL STUDIES
If you are NURSING
- Precaution: LIMITED DATA SUGGEST LOW AMOUNTS EXCRETED WITH NO INFANT ADVERSE EFFECTS
If you are an adult over 60
- management or monitoring precaution: Renal-Dosage adjustment needed for renal compromise. Neuro/Psych-Can produce ataxia, impaired psychomotor function, syncope, and additional fall risk. Pulmonary-Elderly may be at higher risk for respiratory depression especially with pre-existing chronic pulmonary disease.
Giving Gabapentin to a child under 12
- management or monitoring precaution: Risk of mood and or behavioral changes, hostility, hyperkinesia, thought disorder, concentration difficulty, respiratory depression
- management or monitoring precaution: Effectiveness as adjunctive therapy in the treatment of partial seizures in pediatric patients below the age of 3 years has not been established
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.