Sorry, we have no data available. Please contact your doctor or pharmacist.
Sympathomimetics/Rauwolfia Alkaloids Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
When these two medicines are taken together, the effects of your sympathomimetic may be increased or decreased.
What might happen:
A decrease in the beneficial effects or an increased chance of toxic effects from your sympathomimetic may occur.
What you should do about this interaction:
If you experience headache, dizziness, or blurred vision, contact your doctor. The dose of your medicines may need adjusting.Your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. If your doctor prescribes these medicines together, you may need to check your blood pressure. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Burn JH, Rand MJ. The action of sympathomimetic amines in animals treated with reserpine. J Physiol 1958;144:314-36.
- 2.Trendelenburg U. Supersensitivity and subsensitivity to sympathomimetic amines. Pharmacol Rev 1963;15:225-74.
- 3.Sneddon JM, Turner P. Ephedrine mydriasis in hypertension and the response to treatment. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1969 Jan-Feb;10(1):64-71.
- 4.Eger EI, Hamilton WK. The effect of reserpine on the action of various vasopressors. Anesthesiology 1959 Sep-Oct;20(5):641-5.
- 5.Maxwell RA, Povalski H, Plummer AJ. A differential effect of reserpine on pressor amine activity and its relationship to other agents producing this effect. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 1959;125:178-83.
- 6.Ziegler CH, Lovette JB. Operative complications after therapy with reserpine and reserpine compounds. JAMA 1961 Jun 17;176(11):916-9.
- 7.Stone CA, Ross CA, Wenger HC, Ludden CT, Blessing JA, Totaro JA, Porter CC. Effect of alpha-methyl-3,4-dihydroxyphenylalamine (methyldopa), reserpine and related agents on some vascular responses in the dog. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 1962;136(1):80-8.
- 8.Moore JI, Moran NC. Cardiac contractile force responses to ephedrine and other sympathomimetic amines in dogs after pretreatment with reserpine. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 1962;136(1):89-96.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.