Deferiprone/Selected Myelosuppressive Agents Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Serious. These medicines may interact and cause very harmful effects. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Both of these medicines can affect your bone marrow's ability to make new white blood cells.
What might happen:
If your white blood cell count is too low, your risk for infection is increased.
What you should do about this interaction:
Make sure your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medicines together.Your doctor may need to check your blood frequently to be sure your white blood cells are in a safe range. It is important that you keep these laboratory appointments.You should contact your healthcare provider right away if you have symptoms of infection such as a fever, sore throat or flu-like symptoms.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Ferriprox (deferiprone) US prescribing information. ApoPharma February, 2020.
- 2.Dear Health Care Professional letter "Important Safety Information: Risks of Fatal Agranulocytosis and Neurological Disorders with the Use of Ferriprox (deferiprone)" UK Medicines Healthcare product Registry Agency (MHRA). ApoPharma Inc. September 6, 2006.
- 3.US Food and Drug Administration. Ferriprox (deferiprone) FDA Briefing Document for The Oncologic Drugs Advisory Committee. available at https://wayback.archive-it.org/7993/20170405223704/https://www.fda.gov/down loads/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/Drugs/OncologicDrugsAd visoryCommittee/UCM271538.pdf September 14, 2011.
- 4.Clozaril (clozapine tablets) US prescribing information. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation April, 2020.
- 5.FDA (US Food and Drug Administration). Clozapine: Drug Safety Communication - FDA Modifies Monitoring for Neutropenia; Approves New Shared REMS Program. accessed at: https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/ucm461853.htm September 15, 2015.
- 6.Campath (alemtuzumab) US prescribing information. Berlex Laboratories November, 2019.
- 7.Tegretol (carbamazepine) US prescribing information. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation March, 2018.
- 8.Vistide (cidofovir) US prescribing information. Gilead Sciences, Inc. September, 2000.
- 9.Taxotere (docetaxel) US prescribing information. Sanofi-Aventis U.S. LLC May, 2010.
- 10.Camptosar (irinotecan hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Pharmacia & Upjohn Company January, 2020.
- 11.Taxol (paclitaxel) US prescribing information. Bristol-Myers Squibb Company August, 2010.
- 12.Hycamtin Injection (topotecan hydrochloride) US prescribing information. GlaxoSmithKline June, 2015.
- 13.Hycamtin Oral (topotecan) US prescribing information. GlaxoSmithKline September, 2018.
- 14.Retrovir (zidovudine) US prescribing information. GlaxoSmithKline September, 2018.
- 15.Carbplatin Inj. US prescribing information. Teva October, 2011.
- 16.Ridaura (auranofin) US prescribing information. Prometheus Laboratories August, 2007.
- 17.Leukeran (Chlorambucil) US prescribing information. GlaxoSmithKline October, 2011.
- 18.Cytovene IV (ganciclovir) US prescribing information. Genentech Inc. August, 2018.
- 19.Zevalin (ibritumomab) US prescribing information. Spectrum Pharmaceuticals September, 2013.
- 20.Revlimid (lenalidomide) US prescribing information. Celgene Corp. January, 2019.
- 21.Mitoxantrone Inj. US prescribing information. APP Pharmaceuticals July, 2010.
- 22.Vumon (teniposide) US prescribing information. E.R. Squibb & Sons October, 2011.
- 23.Bexxar (tositumomab) US prescribing information. GlaxoSmithKline October, 2005.
- 24.Valcyte (valganciclovir) US prescribing information. Genentech June, 2017.
- 25.Lonsurf (trifluridine-tipiracil) US prescribing information. Taiho Oncology Inc. March 30, 2017.
- 26.Tagrisso (osimertinib) US prescribing information. AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals August, 2018.
- 27.Aliqopa (copanlisib) US prescribing information. Bayer October, 2019.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.