Sorry, we have no data available. Please contact your doctor or pharmacist.
Selected Cephalosporins/Aluminum; Magnesium Compounds Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Antacids that contain aluminum and/or magnesium may bind to some cephalosporins in your stomach and intestines and prevent your body from absorbing them.
What might happen:
The amount of antibiotic in your blood may decrease and it may not work as well against your infection.
What you should do about this interaction:
If you have to take an antacid containing aluminum and/or magnesium, make sure that you take it at least 2 hours before or after your antibiotic. Let your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know if your infection does not seem to be getting better.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Omnicef (cefdinir) US prescribing information. Abbott Laboratories December, 2008.
- 2.Saathoff N, Lode H, Neider K, Depperman KM, Borner K, Koeppe P. Pharmacokinetics of cefpodoxime proxetil and interactions with an antacid and an H2 receptor antagonist. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1992 Apr; 36(4):796-800.
- 3.Vantin (cefpodoxime proxetil) US prescribing information. Pharmacia & Upjohn Company April, 2007.
- 4.Blouin RA, Kneer J, Ambros RJ, Stoeckel K. Influence of antacid and ranitidine on the pharmacokinetics of oral cefetamet pivoxil. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1990 Sep;34(9):1744-8.
- 5.Healy DP, Sahai JV, Sterling LP, Racht EM. Influence of an antacid containing aluminum and magnesium on the pharmacokinetics of cefixime. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1989 Nov;33(11):1994-7.
- 6.Shyu WC, Wilber RB, Pittman KA, Barbhaiya RH. Effect of antacid on the bioavailability of cefprozil. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1992 May; 36(5):962-5.
- 7.Deppermann KM, Lode H, Hoffken G, Tschink G, Kalz C, Koeppe P. Influence of ranitidine, pirenzepine, and aluminum magnesium hydroxide on the bioavailability of various antibiotics, including amoxicillin, cephalexin, doxycycline, and amoxicillin-clavulanic acid. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1989 Nov;33(11):1901-7.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.