What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering Qudexy XR to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- Not Recommended: DATA FROM PREGNANCY REGISTRY SHOW INCREASED RISK OF OROFACIAL CLEFT
If you are NURSING
- Precaution: MONITOR FOR SIGNS OF TOXICITY; MAY CAUSE SEDATION,IRRITABILITY,FEEDING PROBLM
If you are an adult over 60
- management or monitoring precaution: Renal-Decrease dose for CrCl < 70 mL/min. to minimize CNS toxicities. Neuro/Psych-Can cause ataxia, impaired psychomotor function, syncope, and increase risk for additional falls in those predisposed. Vision-Visual field defects have been reported in patients receiving topiramate independent of elevated intraocular pressure. In clinical trials, most of these events were reversible after topiramate discontinuation.
Giving Qudexy XR to a child under 12
- Severe Precaution: Potential risk of metabolic acidosis, slowed growth, infection, hyperthermia, oligohidrosis, increased creatinine, hyperammonemia, secondary angle closure glaucoma. Efficacy not demonstrated age <2 years.
- management or monitoring precaution: Risk of acidosis, hyperammonemia, oligohidrosis and rarely angle closure glaucoma. Monitor serum bicarbonate, signs of encephalopathy (ammonia level), changes in behavior and vision, and check growth rate.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.