Voriconazole/Selected QT Prolonging Agents Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Voriconazole can affect your heart's rhythm. Other drugs can have the same effect.
What might happen:
Taking voriconazole with other agents that can affect your heart rhythm may increase your risk of an irregular heartbeat, which may be life-threatening.
What you should do about this interaction:
Let your healthcare professionals (e.g doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medications together. Your doctor may want to perform an electrocardiogram (ECG) on you to check your heart's rhythm. Let your doctor know right away if you notice an irregular heartbeat or have any dizziness or fainting episodes.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Drew BJ, Ackerman MJ, Funk M, Gibler WB, Kligfield P, Menon V, Philippides GJ, Roden DM, Zareba W. Prevention of torsade de pointes in hospital settings: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology Foundation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010 Mar 2;55(9):934-47.
- 2.Saphris (asenapine) US prescribing information. Actavis, Inc. February 23, 2017.
- 3.Procoralan (ivabradine hydrochloride) summary of product characteristics. Les Laboratoires Servier March, 2015.
- 4.Serentil (mesoridazine besylate) US prescribing information. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation August, 2000.
- 5.Avelox (moxifloxacin hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Bayer Pharmaceuticals Corporation October 18, 2018.
- 6.Invega (paliperidone) US prescribing information. Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. February 23, 2017.
- 7.Rythmol (propafenone hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Abbott Laboratories March, 2013.
- 8.Seroquel (quetiapine fumarate) US prescribing information. AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP July, 2011.
- 9.Qualaquin (quinine sulfate) US prescribing information. AR Scientific, Inc. April, 2013.
- 10.Ultane (sevoflurane) US prescribing information. AbbVie, Inc. February, 2014.
- 11.Xenazine (tetrabenazine) US prescribing information. Valeant International September, 2017.
- 12.Caprelsa (vandetanib) US prescribing information. AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP October, 2018.
- 13.Javlor (vinflunine ditartrate) UK Summary of Product Characteristics. Pierre Fabre Limited September 21, 2009.
- 14.Clopixol (zuclopenthixol acetate) UK summary of product characteristics. Lundbeck House October 24, 2008.
- 15.Apokyn (apomorphine hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Tercica, Inc. May, 2019.
- 16.Cipro (ciprofloxacin hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Bayer Corporation October 18, 2018.
- 17.Clozaril (clozapine tablets) US prescribing information. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation February 23, 2017.
- 18.Anzemet (dolasetron mesylate) US prescribing information. Sanofi-Aventis Us.S. LLC September, 2014.
- 19.Mathivanan M. Dear Canadian Healthcare Professional: Subject: Association of domperidone maleate with serious ventricular arrhythmias and sudden cardiac death. Teva Canada Limited March 2, 2012.
- 20.Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol fumarate) US prescribing information. Schering Corporation September, 2012.
- 21.Tequin (gatifloxacin) US prescribing information. Bristol-Myers Squibb Company January, 2006.
- 22.Factive (gemifloxacin mesylate) US prescribing information. Merus Labs International, Inc. October, 2018.
- 23.Haldol injection (haloperidol) US prescribing information. Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. March, 2019.
- 24.Levaquin (levofloxacin) US prescribing information. Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. October 18, 2018.
- 25.NegGram (nalidixic acid) US prescribing information. Sanofi-Synthelabo, Inc. November, 2012.
- 26.Noroxin (norfloxacin) US prescribing information. Merck & Co., Inc. July, 2016.
- 27.Noxafil (posaconazole) UK summary of product characteristics. Schering-Plough Ltd. February 2, 2006.
- 28.Edurant (rilpivirine) US prescribing information. Tibotec Pharmaceuticals February 1, 2018.
- 29.Risperidal (risperidone) UK summary of product characteristics. Janssen-Cilag, UK Limited May 14, 2004.
- 30.Tikosyn (dofetilide) US prescribing information. Pfizer Inc. December, 2013.
- 31.Betapace (sotalol hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Bayer Healthcare Inc. July, 2012.
- 32.Halaven (eribulin mesylate) US prescribing information. Eisai, Inc. January, 2016.
- 33.Lexapro (escitalopram oxalate) US prescribing information. Forest Pharmaceuticals Inc. January, 2019.
- 34.USFood and Drug Administration. FDA Drug Safety Communication: Revised recommendations for Celexa (citalopram hydrobromide) related to a potential risk of abnormal heart rhythms with high doses. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm297391.htm March 28, 2012.
- 35.Health Canada. Antidepressant Cipralex (escitalopram): Updated information regarding dose-related heart risk. Available at: http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2012/136 74a-eng.php May 7, 2012.
- 36.Cipralex (escitalopram oxalate) Canadian prescribing information. Lundbeck August 13, 2012.
- 37.Cipralex (escitalopram oxalate) UK summary of product characteristics. Lunbeck Limited September 14, 2012.
- 38.Potiga (ezogabine) US Prescribing Information. Valeant Pharmaceuticals May, 2016.
- 39.Ablavar (gadofosveset trisodium) US prescribing information. Lantheus Medical Imaging, Inc. August, 2013.
- 40.Primovist (gadoxetate disodium) Australian prescribing information. Schering-Plough Corporation November 1, 2005.
- 41.Primovist (gadoxetic acid) UK summary of product characteristics. Bayer plc May 1, 2008.
- 42.Signifor (pasireotide diasparate) US prescribing information. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation December, 2012.
- 43.Nexavar (sorafenib) US prescribing information. Bayer Pharmaceuticals Corporation December, 2018.
- 44.Vibativ (telavancin) US prescribing information. Theravance Biopharma US, Inc. December 3, 2014.
- 45.Zelboraf (vemurafenib) US Prescribing Information. Hoffman-La Roche November, 2017.
- 46.Woosley RL, Romero KA. www.Crediblemeds.org, QTdrugs List, AZCERT, Inc. 1822 Innovation Park Dr., Oro Valley, AZ 85755. November 17, 2015.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.