What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering METHYLPREDNISOLONE-BUPIVACAINE Vial to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- FDB Only When Necessary: CONTRAINDICATED FOR OBSTETRICAL PARACERVICAL BLOCK ANESTHESIA
- Only When Necessary: FDA C; POSSIBLE RISK OF ORAL CLEFTS; SIMILAR CORTICOSTEROIDS FDA D
If you are NURSING
- No Known Risk: EPIDURAL ADM IN STUDY OF 27 WOMEN SHOWED NO ADVERSE EFFECTS IN INFANTS.
- Precaution: LIMITED DATA SUGGEST MINIMAL AMOUNTS EXCRETED RESULTING IN NO ADVERSE EFFECTS
If you are an adult over 60
- management or monitoring precaution: General-Elderly have a higher incidence of systemic toxicities. Dose reduction may be needed particularly with decreased renal function. Cardiovascular-Pre-existing hypertension may predispose to higher incidence of hypotension with drug administration.
- management or monitoring precaution: Cardiovascular-Caution in chronic heart failure patients due to sodium and water retention with glucocorticoid use. Endocrine-May cause hyperglycemia or worsen glucose control in diabetics. Longer term use may cause osteopenia or osteoporosis. Neuro/Psych-Avoid in older adults with or at high risk of delirium because of inducing or worsening delirium.
Giving METHYLPREDNISOLONE-BUPIVACAINE Vial to a child under 12
- management or monitoring precaution: Prolonged use may inhibit bone growth in pediatrics and adolescents. Monitor growth, intraocular pressure, blood pressure etc. as for adults.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.